How to do informal upright (Moyogi) style for Portulacaria Afra?

goofyboi

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi can anyone give me a crash course on creating a Moyogi style tree? The tree is currently 1 years old and is variegated. Also if you can, recommend where I can get more knowledge on this subject. Thanks :]

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
goofyboi,

The techniques are the same as for many other species. Grow it out, then cut it back to create movement and taper. In my climate I grow them freely all summer and then cut them back to get them under the fluorescents.

I have found that these tolerate more frequent watering than actual Jades and water them liberally during the growing season. This all changes in the fall when I bring them in.

My first one was also a variegated variety and only later did I learn how slowly it grew when compared to some plain green ones that I purchased later. I actually gave up on that specimen in favor of the more vigorous variety.

Before.jpgAfter.jpg

Norm

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Im going to piggyback off this thread. First, to answer the OP's question, I diagrammed where I chopped and grew mine. It has an OK trunk line. There some things I would have done differently, but I think this will turn into a decent tropical shohin with one more year. I added a few pics of the tree from a couple different angles. I plan on rotating the tree around a bit for the new front. I find the trunk to have more movement and taper than the current front. Has anyone heard of approach grafting these trees? is that even possible with succulents? I would love to add that small branch up to where the chop scar is. Finally, a sketch of what I want the tree to eventually look like.

Attachments

• chop diagram).jpg
    chop diagram).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 133
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 112
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 110
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 111

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Heres the sketch.

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 134

lbug7575

Seed
Reaction score
I have found that these tolerate more frequent watering than actual Jades and water them liberally during the growing season. This all changes in the fall when I bring them in.

Top Bottom