How to encourage branch back budding?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I recently pruned a large branch from one of my trees in hopes of it back budding. The branch was beginning to shove buds so I cut it back shorter in hopes of it budding further back instead of sending out growth that would be removed later. At the moment buds are being shoved elsewhere but not on the branch I pruned. As far as I can tell the stub is still alive though.

What can I do to ensure or at least reduce the chances of the tree abandoning the cut branch or making it bud out?

Thanks,
Julian

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
It would have been better to have pruned much earlier or to have waited until this new growth had fully extended and hardened.

If you want to know more, start by reading about the 1933 research findings of Thimann andSkoog.
I definitely should of done that. At the time I was unsure of the trees health, but now that it is well established and growing well I thought I could afford a late cut.

I suppose all I can do now is keep the tree healthy and feed it well. From what I've seen with these oak trees and as well as from the person I purchased it from is that they send out growth continuously throughout the growing season instead of well defined flushes of growth. Since spring the tree would send out growth, settle for a few weeks then send out more growth. Hopefully in a few weeks or so buds will shove out in the front.

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm with Godzilla on this one. However, my limited experience with oaks has produced one unverified but self-evident conclusion; oaks are Prayer Trees. You pray they survive collection and you pray you get back budding where you need it. :) I know there are members here that have had luck with them so maybe they'll chime in.

Top Bottom