How to ensure good growth on Beautyberries ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So I have about 12-15 beautyberry seedlings that I want to grow out and turn into quality shohin material in the next 10 years. They are Callicarpa japonica and i know that not many people have them but they are similar in growth to many other species. What tips and techniques can I try to max out their growth?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have about 12-15 beautyberry seedlings that I want to grow out and turn into quality shohin material in the next 10 years. They are Callicarpa japonica and i know that not many people have them but they are similar in growth to many other species. What tips and techniques can I try to max out their growth?
Calicarpa japonica (Japanese Beautiberry) is an invasive species here in N. Va. It's everywhere. It grows like a weed (and it is a weed), but can take forever to bulk up a trunk. It is also easy to collect from the yard...Ground growing is the fastest way to get a decent trunk with bonsai potential. No special care is needed from what I've seen, in fact, neglect and hard viscous pruning have a beneficial effect on the. My friend who has them crawling over his garage in Fairfax yanks them up out of the ground with his hands...

Top Bottom