How to ensure survival of Olive Stump

XecutivE

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The next-door neighbours had dug this 20-year-old olive out of their garden and threw it in the skip. I saw it and took it in. It is about 6in diameter at the base with some roots intact. It has no leaves on it as the top has been chopped off completely. I'm in UK and new to Bonsai. I have read that putting collected deciduous trees in a black plastic bag helps to sprout leaves. I don't know if that works with olives though. Any advice on what i can do to give it the best chance of survival? Your 20210306_175920.jpg20210306_175917.jpg20210306_175905.jpgadvice is much appreciated.20210306_175920.jpg20210306_175917.jpg20210306_175905.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If that is a true olive, Olea europaea, just potting it up will unsure its survival. If bonsai is in its future, you can saw off most of the heavy rootage to get a flat base and build a single layer of roots from there. Typical aggregate bonsai soil would be my choice.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Olive can grow from absolutely no roots but cut completely flat grow roots. My own was a cutting... had a sandy loom mix.

@Adair M what is a good medium to grow an olive with little roots? Or does it have enough to not be concerned? You know your Olives.
I would use Boon Mix.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The next-door neighbours had dug this 20-year-old olive out of their garden and threw it in the skip. I saw it and took it in. It is about 6in diameter at the base with some roots intact. It has no leaves on it as the top has been chopped off completely. I'm in UK and new to Bonsai. I have read that putting collected deciduous trees in a black plastic bag helps to sprout leaves. I don't know if that works with olives though. Any advice on what i can do to give it the best chance of survival? Your View attachment 362476View attachment 362477View attachment 362479advice is much appreciated.View attachment 362476View attachment 362477View attachment 362479
If I got this one, I would horizontally cut it right in the area between trunk base and root collar. Part 1 would be do cutting as usual. Part 2 would be do inverted cutting.
20210306_175905.jpg

With Olive and pomegranate, their rootage parts are my purpose to get the trees when I dug them.
I always use pumice: mini pine bark with 1:1 ratio for all my new dug trees with really high successful rate.
You need to soak these stumps into the water for 24 hours before putting them into the soil
I always use clear plastic bag to cover for stump and pot until it shows new shoots and this is a secrete trade ! :)
Good luck to you.
Thụ Thoại

XecutivE

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I got this one, I would horizontally cut it right in the area between trunk base and root collar. Part 1 would be do cutting as usual. Part 2 would be do inverted cutting.
View attachment 362504

With Olive and pomegranate, their rootage parts are my purpose to get the trees when I dug them.
I always use pumice: mini pine bark with 1:1 ratio for all my new dug trees with really high successful rate.
You need to soak these stumps into the water for 24 hours before putting them into the soil
I always use clear plastic bag to cover for stump and pot until it shows new shoots and this is a secrete trade ! :)
Good luck to you.
Thụ Thoại
Thank you for the advice. Just so that I understand you, are you saying that i would end up with 2 trees if i cut it as you have shown?

Also, since I am in the UK, its still pretty cold here. Do i leave it outside or keep it indoors till the weather warms up a bit more?

Finally, with your secret trade idea :) do i completely put the whole tree including the pot in the bag and seal it?

Thank you for the advice!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the advice. Just so that I understand you, are you saying that i would end up with 2 trees if i cut it as you have shown?

Also, since I am in the UK, its still pretty cold here. Do i leave it outside or keep it indoors till the weather warms up a bit more?

Finally, with your secret trade idea :) do i completely put the whole tree including the pot in the bag and seal it?

Thank you for the advice!
You are very welcome.
Yes, will be 2 trees
I think you can do cutting at this time and place them into the well drained soil like I use right away. With plastic coverage for whole pot and stump, it should be ok for the cold, should not it?
Plastic bag which I use is thick and used to cover the furnitures in the store. I cover whole pot and stump then use a string to tie the bag to the pot. With clear plastic bag, I can see when I should water the soil again and can see any activities of the stump without taking the bag off.
Thụ Thoại

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always use clear plastic bag to cover for stump and pot until it shows new shoots and this is a secrete trade
Exactly how I do my damaged collects.
Keep in dappled sahde, not full sun. Somehow they seem to recover better when not in full sun

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Olives are really resilient. Most will recover from almost anything. That means that everyone has their own idea about what is best but reality is that just planting the stump in a pot of soil will usually ensure survival.
Flat cut base is a good idea for olive bonsai but if you do not have the tools or the idea terrifies you that can be done any time in future when you are better prepared. Either way will not compromise survival.
Soil mix is also infinitely debatable. I just plant my olive collections into my standard bonsai potting mix and get 100% recovery. They will probably recover planted in almost anything short of concrete.
Plastic bags may be a good idea in some areas where conditions are less than ideal but not really necessary for olive transplant. I have 100% without plastic bags.
Soaking is also optional. Does not appear to do any harm but also not necessary. They recover just as well without soaking in water or any other magic solutions some will suggest.

Good luck with your find. I know you don't have a choice but that stump does not appear to be particularly suited to bonsai. I think you will have your work cut out to make something attractive from that one but you should have some fun and learn a lot while trying.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Exactly how I do my damaged collects.
Keep in dappled sahde, not full sun. Somehow they seem to recover better when not in full sun
Yes. It should be placed into the shade area .
Last year, I wanted to test to see if it was better if I let the new cutting under the direct sun. I did 2 big pomegranate cuttings . I lost both 🤣
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom