How to get drastic taper without major trunk chops?

Bonsaichef

Sapling
Reaction score
I can assure you don't know me. Although if you play your cards right you might.
I'm not moving in on your trident turf SMOKE so chillout.....althought I do grow some nice ones>>>>

Bonsaichef

Sapling
Reaction score
PM me for my name so you can Google me if you like.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
*giggle* love the "new blood"! I still want to see your techniques documented chef... Smoke is kind enough to share what he knows with those of us who don't know. I would love it if you would do the same.

Bonsaichef

Sapling
Reaction score
I said I will compile the information & post it in a new thread. This will take some time but don't fear I will pm you. \BC

Last edited:

Bonsaichef

Sapling
Reaction score
Here it is, simple stupid.
The key is to be patient.
Branches & ramification are the endgame. There are many obstacles to overcome before the fun begins.
As you will notice we all have a tendency to rush it, as this is human nature. The old saying life is a journey not a destination applies to bonsai very well.
The thickening is really aided by copious amounts of sacrifice branches wired perpendicular & let grow freely in the lower 2/3 of the tree. Only during the formation of the final apex do you use these branches in the upper 1/3. They are used to close the wounds & make the taper more convincing. (review other picture I post)
BC

Attachments

• CCI20110130_00000.jpg
    CCI20110130_00000.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 212
  • CCI20110130_00001.jpg
    CCI20110130_00001.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here it is, simple stupid.
The key is to be patient.
Branches & ramification are the endgame. There are many obstacles to overcome before the fun begins.
As you will notice we all have a tendency to rush it, as this is human nature. The old saying life is a journey not a destination applies to bonsai very well.
The thickening is really aided by copious amounts of sacrifice branches wired perpendicular & let grow freely in the lower 2/3 of the tree. Only during the formation of the final apex do you use these branches in the upper 1/3. They are used to close the wounds & make the taper more convincing. (review other picture I post)
BC

Hi BC, thanks for sharing your growing out practice with us. Just out of curiosity, on the second page, why do you arrange the roots in a whirlpool shape?

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BC, it is very kind of you to share your technique and I have a few questions about nailing the roots to the board. First, what wood do you use for your board? Second, do you put the nails through the roots or do you put them next to the roots to serve more as a guide that forces the roots? Also do you worry about removing the nails or do you let the roots grow to the point to where they engulf the nails so you cant tell they were there?

Thanks again as I am very interested in what you are sharing.

Tom

Bonsaichef

Sapling
Reaction score
Vendor on ebay I have never been (Dav4 get a life, no offense), I have way too much going on in my life. It's really comical how some people on this site are acting. Like I said I'm not here to steal anyone's "Message Board Thunder" just to share Information & Learn.

Thanks JTJr25 & mcpesq817.
Answers:

1. I arrange the roots like that just to add character, they will fuse down the road

2. The nails I use are like pushpin type with a wide head so they will hold the roots more like a guide

3. The nails will rust away so no need remove

4. For the wood I use 1/2" whatever I have, it to will decompose in time

I will be documenting this entire process this year to share with you all.
Thanks for the questions.
BC

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the clarification BC - looking forward to your future posts.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Your method seems very logical to me and your results look promising so far. I plan on trying this in the future.

Tom

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Vendor on ebay I have never been (Dav4 get a life, no offense), I have way too much going on in my life. It's really comical how some people on this site are acting. Like I said I'm not here to steal anyone's "Message Board Thunder" just to share Information & Learn.

BC

A bit touchy there. Let me fill you in what might be going on. Back in the days of Bonsai talk, there was this guy who frequented the site that went by Bonsaichef, or something like that. He was a real piece of work. Via the internet and Ebay, he screwed people out of alot of money. Now, I'm not saying you and he are the same, but the internet is crawling with losers trying to scam people. You've been on Bnut less then a week. In the few posts you've made, you've shown pics of growbeds with great, fat trunks, and hinted that some of them are for sale, or will be. hmmmmmm. By the way, I've got a life...I don't need to screw people over to make a few bucks (no offense).

Last edited:

John Kirby

Seedling
Reaction score
Kong, Kong, Kong, the beast is called forth from the tropical jungles........

Bonsaichef

Sapling
Reaction score
Well my name is not Dave sorry & no these trees are not for sale.
Later this year I might sell 1-3 trees, money is not my thing as my balance sheet is solid so I don't have to sell any.
If you like call Dana @ Brussel's and ask him if I'm legit(PM for my name). I operate well know restaurants in the great state of Louisiana as I said before. (Dave4 Get a Life)
BC

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well my name is not Dave sorry & no these trees are not for sale.
Later this year I might sell 1-3 trees, money is not my thing as my balance sheet is solid so I don't have to sell any.
If you like call Dana @ Brussel's and ask him if I'm legit(PM for my name). I operate well know restaurants in the great state of Louisiana as I said before. (Dave4 Get a Life)
BC

Whatever, Chef Dave or Shannon or whoever you are. It's heartening to know that you're flush with cash and don't have to screw people out of their hard earned money ...that's great and I'm happy for you. Just to be clear, though, you've been on this site for less then 3 days and you're portraying yourself; 1) as someone who has been practicing bonsai for 2/3 of their life (some might consider that to be an expert, though I wouldn't get that from the diagrams you provided...Yikes!), and 2) a source of descent trident stock to be purchased. Also, your username is similar to a low life from another bonsai forum who screwed more then a couple of people under the premise of selling tridents. Finally, you have trouble typing/writing which was chef dave's cross to bear as well. I know, it's probably all coincidence:rolleyes:. Either that, or you are truly a moron. Anyway, I'm not going to google your name or call Brussells...I'm going to sit back and watch. Besides, I really enjoy reading your posts...they're absolutely brimming with cutting edge techniques I'd never heard of. Keep up the good work, Chef!

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! this is really getting good.

I made one teeeny reference and looky where we are now.

Terrific!

Mr. Chef, I have no thunder to steal... post away I am enjoying whatever happens. Why does anyone have to Pm you for a name? Why can't you use it here. Everyone knows who I am. I been around for 15 years on the forums, since '97..... I have left a wake behind me.

Al Keppler

Last edited:

Bonsaichef

Sapling
Reaction score
Whatever, Chef Dave or Shannon or whoever you are. It's heartening to know that you're flush with cash and don't have to screw people out of their hard earned money ...that's great and I'm happy for you. Just to be clear, though, you've been on this site for less then 3 days and you're portraying yourself; 1) as someone who has been practicing bonsai for 2/3 of their life (some might consider that to be an expert, though I wouldn't get that from the diagrams you provided...Yikes!), and 2) a source of descent trident stock to be purchased. Also, your username is similar to a low life from another bonsai forum who screwed more then a couple of people under the premise of selling tridents, and you have trouble typing/writing. I know, it's probably all coincidence:rolleyes:. Either that, or you are truly a moron. Anyway, I'm not going to google your name or call Brussells...I'm going to sit back and watch. Besides, I really enjoy reading your posts...they're absolutely brimming with cutting edge techniques I'd never heard of. Keep up the good work, Chef!

No not an expert & no I don't want to sell anyone here trees & yes I don't need the cash. The drawings; I am also not an artist with a pen I think my point was conveyed properly. I don't wish to rub you the wrong way but I guess I do. I will not be pushed around by you so perhaps we should end this here. Do you hear yourself "your username is similar to someone else" repeat that three times and tell me how it sounds. You look like someone I don't like so therefore I must not like you either.....that's just really uneducated & small minded way of thinking/acting.
1. I don't want to sell trees
2. I have never been a member of any bonsai forum (now I see why)
3. I have never insinuated/stated/professed/imagined to be an "bonsai expert & or savant with a pen"
4. Sharing thoughts & learning are the only reasons I thought I wanted to be here, but this is ridiculous.
BC

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's all good, Chef. I'm done here, too...just gonna watch now. Keep posting, please, and let everyone else come to their own conclusions about all this.

Top Bottom