How to get drastic taper without major trunk chops?

Bonsaichef

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you....

It's all good, Chef. I'm done here, too...just gonna watch now. Keep posting, please, and let everyone else come to their own conclusions about all this.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
wow growing trees on a tile or piece of wood. This is revolutionary!!!

Although I love how one third of your total post count (#12) are essentially aimed at pissing people off --> Nice way to get started on a new forum.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
wow growing trees on a tile or piece of wood. This is revolutionary!!!

Although I love how one third of your total post count (#12) are essentially aimed at pissing people off --> Nice way to get started on a new forum.

The way I see it, he will fit right in! LOL!

PeterW

Sapling
Reaction score
Long time no post.. hope this little tree fits in this topic.

This is a Port Jackson fig tree. It was collected by a friend in approximately 1980 as about what resembled a thumb, i am told. It has been in a small pot ever since and only ever cut back to a small trunk. I purchased this tree only a few months ago, about 6 months or so. It has no scars whatsoever on the trunk as it was only ever kept with short growth. It is approximately 25 cm tall (10") and the base is 20cm (10") across. Long time to wait, is it worth the wait......matter of opinion i guess.

Attachments

• P1010702.jpg
    P1010702.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 105
  • P1020127.jpg
    P1020127.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020133.jpg
    P1020133.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 96

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello PeterW
I like this ficus... It pulls off the Sumo like style well. I especially like the tree without the leaves..

Rob

dlayton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently I started searching google with kanji characters and have been drooling over the beautiful trees on many of the Japanese sites. I have been particularly impressed with the heavily tapering shohin without any large trunk/sacrifice branch chop scars.

I understand the general methods of giving taper through trunk chops, but how do you develop a tree such as the one pictured? I am assuming they are grown in pots, as field growing would result in too course growth. Is it just a matter of continued pinching out of the leaders over many years? OR am I just missing the chop scars somewhere?

Based on the rough translation, I think this Japanese Maple is 14cm high with a 8.5cm base.t all

Thanks for any insight,
Tim
I know this is an old thread but It looks like that take a seedling and twist it, let it grow, fuse, then thread graft. rest and repeat.

It’s a Japanese blog I found and then ran it through google translate. Look at all his other stuff. But be warned, is a very deep rabbit hole!

Top Bottom