How to get greenery in my humidity trays?

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Forgive the poorly phrased title. Having recently moved to a more exposed balcony hanging above a sidewalk, I realized that I'll have to be more careful where the drainage from my watering ends up. To that end, I figured I'd keep my pots on rubber boot trays filled with lava rock or something of that nature. Similar to the traditional humidity tray, but with a different purpose in mind--to soak up the excess water and keep it from falling to the ground.

Now that I think about it, why not try and promote the growth of some kind of greenery in the drainage trays? I'm talking about the kinds of weeds, mosses, and random plants that pop up in bonsai plants, just to make it look nicer. Will this stuff come up on its own? Or do I need to buy seed of some sort? Thanks & happy Fourth of July :cool:

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Forgive the poorly phrased title. Having recently moved to a more exposed balcony hanging above a sidewalk, I realized that I'll have to be more careful where the drainage from my watering ends up. To that end, I figured I'd keep my pots on rubber boot trays filled with lava rock or something of that nature. Similar to the traditional humidity tray, but with a different purpose in mind--to soak up the excess water and keep it from falling to the ground.

Now that I think about it, why not try and promote the growth of some kind of greenery in the drainage trays? I'm talking about the kinds of weeds, mosses, and random plants that pop up in bonsai plants, just to make it look nicer. Will this stuff come up on its own? Or do I need to buy seed of some sort? Thanks & happy Fourth of July :cool:
Mosses will likely show up on their own, but you could speed things along by transplanting some.

If you want some higher plants in those trays you will need to seed something.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any suggestions for seed? Something that could grow in a non-draining, moist inorganic medium of course

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Any suggestions for seed? Something that could grow in a non-draining, moist inorganic medium of course
As @NOZZLE HEAD said, moss will find it’s way in... depending on IT’S position (as well as YOURS).. you may get stragglers of beggars tick, quassia, clover, amarinth, bristly buttercups.. ect ect.. .. but not AS likely on a “windowsill” setting.

I’ve been experimenting with perennial weeds as accent plants... in the mix you described... beach “weeds” would grow very well in.. (among other “weeds”).. and being “weeds” transplanting is not a problem...

Try different things...

I’ll recommend silverweed cinqeufoil (sp?)...

Chickweed..

Yarrow..

Clover...

Collect wildflower seed.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Just carnivorous plants... i picture them as “animated entities”.. like on Mario...
😂
Or “little shop of horrors”

I realize that their variances extend BEYOND the classic “fly-trap” look.. but that’s how I always picture them.

I had a friend in high school who kept some... he’d get mad when we’d “feed” a head.. he’d SAY.. that after it closes and eats ONCE.. the head would die... but I’m not sure.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’d try meadowfoam it is an interesting wetland plant with decent size white flowers. It doesn’t get too tall.

Sounds like a great addition!

Thanks all for the help! It's my second day on the new balcony but I will be sure to post pictures of my setup once I'm settled

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Beginner's follow up question - do I need to germinate these meadowfoam seeds beforehand? Or can I just sow them onto my drip tray

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are pretty bulletproof, but I’m not sure if they will germinate underwater. I’d direct sow half and do half in some lil pots then slip pot into the gravel.

I only have experience with meadowfoam in the field not in pots.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should stick with a Sedum, especially ground covers. There are many at nurseries and they can cycle wet, dry, wet, dry better than other kinds of plants and still look good. There's going to be a direct correlation between the height of a plant and the amount of soil necessary to support it upright, so choose very low candidates.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My trays haven't grown moss in 4 years time. Other weeds do show up, especially arabidopsis and dandelions.
Nutrient levels in the runoff are too high for mosses to grow.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My trays haven't grown moss in 4 years time. Other weeds do show up, especially arabidopsis and dandelions.
Nutrient levels in the runoff are too high for mosses to grow.
Also too high for any carnivorous plant as well. Fertilizer runoff in addition to tap water would do them in quickly.

Liverwort maybe?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This one turned up in a pomegranate...
Spotted Spurge...

Low and BOLD looking... just made me think of this thread.
C9A1FD72-1DCB-4159-A21E-C7B96E3415CE.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If your wanting to hold run off from going down below onto unsuspecting people. Adding rocks would only take up less holding space for the water. I actually use these in my greenhouse. They have grids...that hold the pot up out of the water. Fish aquarium siphoning hose for when it gets full...Easy peasy.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If your wanting to hold run off from going down below onto unsuspecting people. Adding rocks would only take up less holding space for the water. I actually use these in my greenhouse. They have grids...that hold the pot up out of the water. Fish aquarium siphoning hose for when it gets full...Easy peasy.

All i can say, this early, is NICE!!!

Top Bottom