How to get members to post their Articles

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I guess it's time to start this topic off!

In order for a Bonsai Community to funtion it has to have members more willing to provide instructions and how to's for all the members.
(And please keep to the topic and not be so involved with patting self on the back or trying to start word fights)
1. A good topic is keeping your trees alive in winter/summer.
2. How to build stands.
3. Wiring.
4. Wrapping.
5. Photos.
I hope more of the advanced members will start this off.
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I hope more of the advanced members will start this off."

Maybe defining "advanced" will get the ball rolling?

Will

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
"I hope more of the advanced members will start this off."

Maybe defining "advanced" will get the ball rolling?
Will

I am thinking those with many years of experience in wood working.
The profess.Photographer.
Wiring & Wrapping techne used by "the Masters" that an individual has been taught.
Something "New and Advanced" that is not all over the web at all the Bonsai sites.
Not the same old stuff.
Irene

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The only thing that bugs me about posting articles on an open forum site is the tendency for said article to become lost, entombed and buried never to be seen again. I have written three or four fairly decent articles posted on one or the other of two different sites in the past. I cannot now even find them.

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
You will find that this is one of the hardest things to do.
-Paul

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am thinking those with many years of experience in wood working.
The profess.Photographer.
Wiring & Wrapping techne used by "the Masters" that an individual has been taught.
Something "New and Advanced" that is not all over the web at all the Bonsai sites.
Not the same old stuff.
Irene

Well, that disqualifys me.

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hats off to you Irene for trying to get this going. I am sure it will eventually happen. I may do an article on stand building in the future - if I can ever find time to actually build some stands.

Perhaps we need to move this thread to general discussion and see what happens. Technically you did post and article - congratulations for being the first one to do so.

Notice the "Article Tools" in you first post? There are links for subscription to the article, emailing the article and even printing the article. Those should be some handy tools to keep track of the future articles.

So who will be the first one to 'step up' and post an article?

Will - don't be evasive. You know what she means by 'advanced'. I can understand that you don't want to post and article here with all of the other stuff you are doing in print and on other sites. You are what she means by 'advanced'. It doesn't disqualify you, although I can appreciate your self deprecating humor. I bet you could do an article on doing an article.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some times articles are nothing more than someone taking a good thread, editing it, allowing people to review to add comments, and then posting it.

On another site I compiled a FAQ for a technical subject. Once I had gathered the raw ingredients it was 12 pages. By the time I was done editing, adding photos, and adding resource materials, it was over 25 pages. It is now one of the top referenced articles on this subject on the Internet (at least via Google). It really wasn't that hard - just took some time and the involvement of a lot of people.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
No offence to Mr. Heath, but he is all over all the Bonsai sites!
Mr.Graydon you are one of the ones I was thinking about when I say Advanced....
Your work with the collanders is just an example of going further than the average person.
The Same for Andy Graham with the fantastic things he has done with ficus.
And Mr. Behr with the tanuki, he has such a flair for the dramatic visuals.
And Mr. Vance, and Mr. Al and Mr. Tom and Mr. Chris each has a very different approch in how they work.
We need the input of these members to make this site better!
Just my thoughts.....
Irene

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
personally, I do go to forums for articles. I go to forums for discussions with people. There are pleanty (too many) other bonsai sites with articles out the wazoo. Do we really need to re-invent the wheel here? Why don't we stick to what forums do best - discussion.

just my opinion.

- bob

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm,
Writing informative articles...
LOTS of work, taking pictures, sizing pictures and posting and adding text to the pictures....
Then the fights, arguments and cuts start...that is, if many read them at all and comment after all the work.
Now....I see we are discussing judging and grading them on a point system for grammar,spelling, content, etc!

For my part...I've not found writing articles or photo essays for a "talk group" to be worth the effort!
Especially if I'm going to be graded!

D.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm,
Writing informative articles...
LOTS of work, taking pictures, sizing pictures and posting and adding text to the pictures....
Then the fights, arguments and cuts start...that is, if many read them at all and comment after all the work.
[snip]
For my part...I've not found writing articles or photo essays for a "talk group" to be worth the effort!
Especially if I'm going to be graded!
These may well be the wisest words on the subject yet.

Will

Ozzy

Seedling
Reaction score
It may seem like a thankless task writing stories but a quick look at the "views" will show that a lot of people have taken the time to look and have probably gotten a lot out of it albeit anonomously. :rolleyes:

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
articles

I have to agree with Bob and Dale, it appears to be a lot of work .... only to be attacked by others for what one posts. I stick to lurking for the most part, while keeping my head low. There are lots of articles posted at many sites, and many a good book written on many subjects. I appreciate this site for it's better discussions.

gve

Sapling
Reaction score
What could help the beginners like myself would be the following: If somebody read an article on a specific site and found the info worthwhile, to let the others know where to find it. Making known these sites and info can only help the art.

Top Bottom