How to handle fungus/mildew at this time of year?

Reaction score
Minnesota/Bay Area (depending on time of year)
USDA Zone
Hey all. I have a Japanese Maple (Bloodgood) that seems to harbor some pesky, little invaders (pictures below). At this time of year, how do you go about managing this? Do you just try to ignore it and hope for the best? If it were earlier in the year, I might defoliate, but I didn't want to put the tree in too much stress as the dormant season nears (in Zone 4, so dormancy might come as soon as end of October, i.e. 2 months). Also, should I physically isolate this tree from my other trees?

Attachments

• IMG_9266.jpeg
    IMG_9266.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9267.jpeg
    IMG_9267.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 19

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn't have said it was mildew mate. Perhaps calcium deposits building up, being the white?
The second pic looks more like... tree maybe a little dry? Curling + grey/brown colours usually means dry.. In my opinion.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where do you live?

I don't see what looks like fungus or insect damage, rather I see what appears to be damage associated with drying / too much sun.

Reaction score
Minnesota/Bay Area (depending on time of year)
USDA Zone
I think you all are right here. It seems like the weather here is too dry for the maples. I thoroughly water them (soaked until water can be seen running at the bottom of the pot), but that only gets you so far. I've been putting them under dappled shade to try to mitigate. Hopefully, the summer heat will cool down soon!

Thanks all.

Top Bottom