How to handle nursery spruce roots

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Myself I let them grow a anywhere from 2 - 5 seasons and Up pot width wise so I need to cut off a layer of the base roots to keep fitting it in the same depth pot(s). I have cut off up to 6 inches on the larger 3 - 4 foot stock though with no problems in the Summer.

Grimmy
If I read this correctly, after the initial treatment you leave the plant completely alone for 2-5 seasons, then you pot it into a shallower but wider pot and are able to cut off up to 6 inches off the bottom of the root ball so it fits into the new pot? Am I reading this right?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If I read this correctly, after the initial treatment you leave the plant completely alone for 2-5 seasons, then you pot it into a shallower but wider pot and are able to cut off up to 6 inches off the bottom of the root ball so it fits into the new pot? Am I reading this right?

The smallest like let's say 15 - 24 inches can stay over potted 2 -5 years here, I usually pull all the larger potted from the pot every Spring and check on the roots. If they have grown to the bottom or close to it I take off some lower root and either cut the container down or put in a more shallow and wider container. I reuse the container if the radial roots have not hit the pot sides, rare but it does happen sometimes.

It promotes radial rather then deep root growth and really does nicely here and I am pretty certain we have similar climates.

Grimmy

Top Bottom