How to increase soil acidity for blueberry?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I have a blueberry of unknown (to me) cultivar I picked up late 2017. It was one of my first trees in the hobby and I just stuck it in NAPA8822, grit, and pine bark fines and forgot about it. It fruited well in the spring and grew happy all summer.

I'd like to repot it this month in some better soil and will be using a 2:1:1 DE/pumice/lava mix. Would this provide the acidity the plant needs? IMG_20190209_145737.jpgIMG_20190209_145802.jpg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it was healthy in the mix you previously used, why change?

As far as soil components that have a lower pH, there's kanuma, pine bark and fir bark, among others. Alternatively, you could use a pelletized organic fertilizer made specifically for acid loving plants. Liquid ferts will not stay in the soil long enough to make a difference, unless you're feeding with every watering.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you do opt for some sifted bark in your mix, myself and others have recommended this (photo) soil conditioner. However, I recently dried and sifted an entire bag and only came out with a bowl of bark. Last year ~2/3 of the whole bag was perfect size.

As an alternative I got these mini nuggets that I think will be a good substitute, but will involve sifting for fines as well as pieces that are too large.
1549752032723.jpeg
1549752079198.jpeg
1549752151791.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

As far as soil components that have a lower pH, there's kanuma, pine bark and fir bark, among others. Alternatively, you could use a pelletized organic fertilizer made specifically for acid loving plants. Liquid ferts will not stay in the soil long enough to make a difference, unless you're feeding with every watering.

The electric company took a pine tree out if my yard last month and I just noticed they must have knocked over this pot and just scooped the plant back in. I figured since I've got to mess with the roots anyway I'd just repot it. I don't have any of the old soil I used so trying to make it work with what I've got.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you do opt for some sifted bark in your mix, myself and others have recommended this (photo) soil conditioner. However, I recently dried and sifted an entire bag and only came out with a bowl of bark. Last year ~2/3 of the whole bag was perfect size.

As an alternative I got these mini nuggets that I think will be a good substitute, but will involve sifting for fines as well as pieces that are too large.
View attachment 226552
View attachment 226553
View attachment 226554
I picked up a bit of orchid bark this evening and sifted out some fines. It didn't go far lol.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I went ahead and did a repot. Figured I'd wire it too while I'm messing with it. Happy with how it turned out and I'll baby it the next few weeks and keep it out of the cold. Here is hoping! IMG_20190209_210302.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Oh well, you repotted your blueberry before I could ''lay down my blueberry sermon''.
I see in your photo that most of the twigs have a terminal flower bud. Excellent, don't prune until after it flowers & fruits if having a few handfuls of home grown blueberries appeals to you. You are growing right so far. It is happy enough to bloom.

I own a small blueberry farm. We only have 3 acres in production, produced a about 3000 pounds hand picked for the farmers markets. And another 7000 pounds went to a university research project. The university pays better than the farmers market. I have enough to plant another acre in pots right now, blueberry cultivars from meristematic tissue culture. Cheapest way to buy newer cultivars.

So here is the scoop on blueberries. They like acidic soils, or in other words, they are calcifuges. They hate excess calcium. This is because they come from environments that are always deficient in calcium. In their native ranges they never encounter an excess of calcium. As a result they have active transport or scavenging of Calcium from their environment. And because they never encounter an excess in their native haunts, they have no OFF SWITCH for calcium uptake. Expose them to too much calcium and they will poison themselves. Most trees just turn off active uptake when there is excess calcium. Blueberries are like carnivorous plants, no off switch for active uptake of calcium. A little too much will eventually kill them. Acidic soils tend to be low in calcium. Ideal soil pH is between 5.0 to 6.0, they will tolerate soils roughly pH 4.0 to somewhere around 6.3 maybe 6.5 But ideal is close to 5.0 to 5.5. Good news is most of the garden center blueberries are newer hybrids, and they have been bred to be a bit more tolerant of warmer winters and less acidic soils. In Tennessee you most likely have a ''Rabbit Eye'' hybrid blueberry, or a southern highbush blueberry. Both often have genetics from both the northern Highbush and one of the Huckleberry species. In other words they are not as touchy as they used to be.

For small plantlets I am sizing up, right up to a full fruiting size bush I use 45 % pine bark, or douglas fir bark or even bark from hardwoods if it has been composted. The next 40 to 45 % is Canadian peat moss. Yes, that fine powdery stuff. The last 10 to 15% is hardwood sawdust. Yes, wood sawdust. The sawdust is to feed the endomycorrhizae that are associated with blueberries. I also add roughly 1 tablespoon elemental sulfur per gallon volume of potting mix, more on this in the water discussion, I am even trying this potting mix in bonsai pots too. With this mix, you need to keep it moist. Do not let it get too dry between watering. If it gets dry, it shrinks and compacts, and then you loose the air penetration. Because it is so fine, it is easy to loose the air penetration. You must repot at least once every other year, because the mix will get too compacted.

In bonsai pots I have also tried 25% bark, 25 % peat moss, 5% sawdust, and 45% pumice or perlite, which ever I had on hand. This mix is good for about 2 years. It is okay to repot every year. Do not let a peat based mix go for 3 or more years, it will break down and change. Roots may go south on you.

Know the water you are irrigating your blueberry with. Rain water is best. If you can, collect and save rain water to water your blueberries and azalea with. If you use municipal or well water, it is good to know your total alkalinity. THe units of alkalinity are expressed as milligrams of Calcium per liter of water, or parts per million of Calcium. Total dissolved solids can be used as an approximation. Don't worry about pH of the water, that number is meaningless. It is total alkalinity that the farmers use to know how to handle their blueberries. pH is trivial, it tells you nothing about how much calcium is present. My irrigation water has a total dissolved solids of about 225 ppm, and an alkalinity of 180 mg Calcium per liter of water. The elemental sulfur I added to the potting mix is the right amount to counteract the calcium that will accumulate from using my 180 mg/liter Calcium municipal water. THe sulfur will dissolve over the course of a year, it is slow to dissolve. As it does it will react with the calcium that has been accumulating in the peat-bark mix. It will keep your potting mix acidic. If your well water has double or triple the amount of calcium as my municipal water you need to increase the amount of elemental sulfur you add.

Any full line garden center, where they cater to organic gardeners and serious vegetable gardeners will have elemental sulfur. Usually in 2 pound bags or 50 pound bags. The grade intended for acidifying your soils will be a fine grit. There is a grade intended as a dormant spray or as a fungicide, this is a much finer grind. Either will work. The finer grind will dissolve faster, add a third less and re-apply 3 times a year. The soil acidifier grind of sulfur you only need to apply once a year.

Fertilizer - Blueberries prefer to take up nitrogen as Ammonia, they do not take up nitrate nitrogen very efficiently at all. The blueberry fertilizer I use on the farm all the nitrogen is ammoniacal nitrogen. Any garden center ''acid plant food'' will have at least some ammonia, and some sulfur in the formulation. Only use acid plant food fertilizers. One or two of the Dyna Grow products and One of the Peters products actually contains calcium and magnesium. A ''Cal-Mag Fertilizer" that supplements both calcium and magnesium will simply kill a number of blueberry cultivars. I know, I killed a couple hundred this way. The northern highbush cultivar 'Duke' is very sensitive to added calcium, where 'Sweetheart', 'Huron', and 'Bluecrop' only showed yellowing in their leaves with the same dose of fertilizer that killed all my 'Duke' blueberries. So as I said earlier, some more modern blueberry hybrids are much more calcium tolerant than the pure species, V. corymbosum and V angustifolium, the wild northern highbush and northern lowbush blueberries.

If anyone is serious about blueberries, I can repackage down a fertilizer designed specifically for blueberries, it will be about $15 in one pound containers, or $65 in 25 pound bags. PM me. This fertilizer would be good for azaleas and gardenia too.

Pruning a blueberry. - there are some tricks. Once you start developing a fine branch structure, watch out for coarse ''sucker'' growth in closer to the trunk. What will happen is the unbranched sucker will monopolize plant resources, and the more ramified part will starve and die off. Prune out sucker growth. The root system of a blueberry will live 100 years or more. Each branch, coming up from the roots will normally live about 20 years, then the roots will withdraw resources from that trunk in favor of younger, less ramified trunks. If you keep your blueberry a single trunk, that trunk can last 25 to 40 years, but you have to stay on top of less ramified sucker type growth to prevent the roots from withdrawing support. Or grow your blueberry as a clump, keep the number of trunks limited, but have a succession of trunks developing. You can easily keep a single trunk 20 or more years. In commercial production for fruit, trunks that are between 4 years and 10 years produce the maximum yield, and then yield, total weight of the fruit, drops off as the trunk ages over 10 years. Commercial fruit bushes are pruned so no wood on the bush is older than 10 to 15 years. Trunks will just stop flowering and begin to die off after they are somewhere in the 20 to 30 year old range in a large multi-trunk highbush blueberry.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One added note -
You grew your blueberry well enough last summer that you have flower buds at the ends of all your twigs. That means what ever you are doing, water wise and potting mix wise is "at least 80% close enough", so really you do not have to panic and abruptly change to the mix and fertilizer and water system I recommend. What you had been doing was good enough. But I offer what I do on the farm in Michigan, and what I'm doing for the dozen or so I have at home in Illinois, only as a help, and to let you know what the commercial guys are being told to do.

The soils on the farm in Michigan can best be described as ''sand'', or maybe ''sand with a little loam''and when sampled (I took in 24 samples from different spots) the soil tested out as pH 5.3 to 5.8. The soil in my Illinois back yard is a black loam, heavy in clay soil, that was originally derived from limestone. pH is around 6.8, maybe higher. You can't grow blueberries in Illinois soils, that is why I'm growing them in Michigan.

Good blueberry soil will usually have oak, sassafras, and staghorn sumac growing in it, little or no bramble fruit. (wild raspberries and thimbleberries) If you don't have good soils for blueberry, and want to grow some. In a 25 gallon size pot you can bring a highbush blueberry or a rabbit eye blueberry bush up to size that you can get 7 to 12 pounds a year of blueberries out of each 25 gallon pot. Use the peat-bark-sawdust mix for the pots as I suggested. In the big pots, yearly top dress with a dose of sulfur, and add more bark, because once you set the big pots up, you will not want to repot them. Each year add 1 inches more bark as a top dressing. It will help keep the potting mix fresh. .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dang, Leo - that's a lot of blueberry information! When I repotted, it was nothing but a ton of fine feeder roots. I added about 25% fir bark to my mix and will probably pop down to the nursery center and get some of acid loving plant fertilizer pellets (I'll check for possible calcium content). I do water with tap H2O but I ran it through a home test kit in 2017 and it showed pretty low on PPM, I also run it through a charcoal RV filter replaced each season. A rainwater collection system is one if those yard dreams up there with a standalone greenhouse for me!

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Oh well, you repotted your blueberry before I could ''lay down my blueberry sermon''.
I see in your photo that most of the twigs have a terminal flower bud. Excellent, don't prune until after it flowers & fruits if having a few handfuls of home grown blueberries appeals to you. You are growing right so far. It is happy enough to bloom.

I own a small blueberry farm. We only have 3 acres in production, produced a about 3000 pounds hand picked for the farmers markets. And another 7000 pounds went to a university research project. The university pays better than the farmers market. I have enough to plant another acre in pots right now, blueberry cultivars from meristematic tissue culture. Cheapest way to buy newer cultivars.

So here is the scoop on blueberries. They like acidic soils, or in other words, they are calcifuges. They hate excess calcium. This is because they come from environments that are always deficient in calcium. In their native ranges they never encounter an excess of calcium. As a result they have active transport or scavenging of Calcium from their environment. And because they never encounter an excess in their native haunts, they have no OFF SWITCH for calcium uptake. Expose them to too much calcium and they will poison themselves. Most trees just turn off active uptake when there is excess calcium. Blueberries are like carnivorous plants, no off switch for active uptake of calcium. A little too much will eventually kill them. Acidic soils tend to be low in calcium. Ideal soil pH is between 5.0 to 6.0, they will tolerate soils roughly pH 4.0 to somewhere around 6.3 maybe 6.5 But ideal is close to 5.0 to 5.5. Good news is most of the garden center blueberries are newer hybrids, and they have been bred to be a bit more tolerant of warmer winters and less acidic soils. In Tennessee you most likely have a ''Rabbit Eye'' hybrid blueberry, or a southern highbush blueberry. Both often have genetics from both the northern Highbush and one of the Huckleberry species. In other words they are not as touchy as they used to be.

For small plantlets I am sizing up, right up to a full fruiting size bush I use 45 % pine bark, or douglas fir bark or even bark from hardwoods if it has been composted. The next 40 to 45 % is Canadian peat moss. Yes, that fine powdery stuff. The last 10 to 15% is hardwood sawdust. Yes, wood sawdust. The sawdust is to feed the endomycorrhizae that are associated with blueberries. I also add roughly 1 tablespoon elemental sulfur per gallon volume of potting mix, more on this in the water discussion, I am even trying this potting mix in bonsai pots too. With this mix, you need to keep it moist. Do not let it get too dry between watering. If it gets dry, it shrinks and compacts, and then you loose the air penetration. Because it is so fine, it is easy to loose the air penetration. You must repot at least once every other year, because the mix will get too compacted.

In bonsai pots I have also tried 25% bark, 25 % peat moss, 5% sawdust, and 45% pumice or perlite, which ever I had on hand. This mix is good for about 2 years. It is okay to repot every year. Do not let a peat based mix go for 3 or more years, it will break down and change. Roots may go south on you.

Know the water you are irrigating your blueberry with. Rain water is best. If you can, collect and save rain water to water your blueberries and azalea with. If you use municipal or well water, it is good to know your total alkalinity. THe units of alkalinity are expressed as milligrams of Calcium per liter of water, or parts per million of Calcium. Total dissolved solids can be used as an approximation. Don't worry about pH of the water, that number is meaningless. It is total alkalinity that the farmers use to know how to handle their blueberries. pH is trivial, it tells you nothing about how much calcium is present. My irrigation water has a total dissolved solids of about 225 ppm, and an alkalinity of 180 mg Calcium per liter of water. The elemental sulfur I added to the potting mix is the right amount to counteract the calcium that will accumulate from using my 180 mg/liter Calcium municipal water. THe sulfur will dissolve over the course of a year, it is slow to dissolve. As it does it will react with the calcium that has been accumulating in the peat-bark mix. It will keep your potting mix acidic. If your well water has double or triple the amount of calcium as my municipal water you need to increase the amount of elemental sulfur you add.

Any full line garden center, where they cater to organic gardeners and serious vegetable gardeners will have elemental sulfur. Usually in 2 pound bags or 50 pound bags. The grade intended for acidifying your soils will be a fine grit. There is a grade intended as a dormant spray or as a fungicide, this is a much finer grind. Either will work. The finer grind will dissolve faster, add a third less and re-apply 3 times a year. The soil acidifier grind of sulfur you only need to apply once a year.

Fertilizer - Blueberries prefer to take up nitrogen as Ammonia, they do not take up nitrate nitrogen very efficiently at all. The blueberry fertilizer I use on the farm all the nitrogen is ammoniacal nitrogen. Any garden center ''acid plant food'' will have at least some ammonia, and some sulfur in the formulation. Only use acid plant food fertilizers. One or two of the Dyna Grow products and One of the Peters products actually contains calcium and magnesium. A ''Cal-Mag Fertilizer" that supplements both calcium and magnesium will simply kill a number of blueberry cultivars. I know, I killed a couple hundred this way. The northern highbush cultivar 'Duke' is very sensitive to added calcium, where 'Sweetheart', 'Huron', and 'Bluecrop' only showed yellowing in their leaves with the same dose of fertilizer that killed all my 'Duke' blueberries. So as I said earlier, some more modern blueberry hybrids are much more calcium tolerant than the pure species, V. corymbosum and V angustifolium, the wild northern highbush and northern lowbush blueberries.

If anyone is serious about blueberries, I can repackage down a fertilizer designed specifically for blueberries, it will be about $15 in one pound containers, or $65 in 25 pound bags. PM me. This fertilizer would be good for azaleas and gardenia too.

Pruning a blueberry. - there are some tricks. Once you start developing a fine branch structure, watch out for coarse ''sucker'' growth in closer to the trunk. What will happen is the unbranched sucker will monopolize plant resources, and the more ramified part will starve and die off. Prune out sucker growth. The root system of a blueberry will live 100 years or more. Each branch, coming up from the roots will normally live about 20 years, then the roots will withdraw resources from that trunk in favor of younger, less ramified trunks. If you keep your blueberry a single trunk, that trunk can last 25 to 40 years, but you have to stay on top of less ramified sucker type growth to prevent the roots from withdrawing support. Or grow your blueberry as a clump, keep the number of trunks limited, but have a succession of trunks developing. You can easily keep a single trunk 20 or more years. In commercial production for fruit, trunks that are between 4 years and 10 years produce the maximum yield, and then yield, total weight of the fruit, drops off as the trunk ages over 10 years. Commercial fruit bushes are pruned so no wood on the bush is older than 10 to 15 years. Trunks will just stop flowering and begin to die off after they are somewhere in the 20 to 30 year old range in a large multi-trunk highbush blueberry.
You are an amazing blueberry man

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dang, Leo - that's a lot of blueberry information! When I repotted, it was nothing but a ton of fine feeder roots. I added about 25% fir bark to my mix and will probably pop down to the nursery center and get some of acid loving plant fertilizer pellets (I'll check for possible calcium content). I do water with tap H2O but I ran it through a home test kit in 2017 and it showed pretty low on PPM, I also run it through a charcoal RV filter replaced each season. A rainwater collection system is one if those yard dreams up there with a standalone greenhouse for me!

If you wanted to dig more into the water, on campus the state ran/owned water center is on 4th floor in Prescott hall. It’s pretty cheap. Just take in a mason jar etc. and they’ll give you a full breakdown of your water; however, if you call them they may be able to tell you exactly what you want to know without a sample.

Blueberry spot..
On this map I circled Prescott, but potentially more importantly is the other area circled which is where there is a hidden patch of mixed pine forest where woody Vaccinium species (potentially others -pines +) naturally occur. Just walk the tracks down and cut in. I’ve collected plants here more than once, just not bonsai. If you see a campus cop back there, they aren’t bothered with you, it’s the underage students and hobos that kick it on the tracks they’re after. They’ll assume you are just another botany/dendrology student
1549816683134.jpeg
https://www.tntech.edu/research/fac...nters-and-facilities/wrc/laboratory-services/

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@cheap_walmart_art
collecting rain water, east of Mississippi River is easy. I get enough rain water to keep my 6 Satsuki and half a dozen blueberries in Illinois happy by setting out 5 -3 gallon buckets. We actually get fairly regular rain here. I don't have the gutters collecting water from the roof. I also found that if I can water once or twice with rain water, then the next time I water use municipal, then back to rain water - this is just fine. The only time I have trouble is the occasional late July drought that runs into August. Maybe 2 summers out of 5, I'll get a 3 or 4 week period without rain.

If you don't get to the university in Nashville, just a phone call to your local county USDA Extension agent might be enough. Tell them where you live and how deep your well is, and they can probably tell you what is the likely TDS and or Alkalinity of your well water is.

But - like I said before, you have flower buds, this means your combo of well water and the rain you have been getting is not bad. You could just not worry about it.

The secret ingredients that make the difference are the elemental sulfur as an amendment to the potting mix, and the sawdust. Both could be added as top dressing to the media in your pots. Go light with both, then re-apply later in the year if you want. This should result in better color to your leaves. If you see yellowing of the leaves, with green veins, PM me and I'll get you some of the acid fertilizer designed for blueberries.

Top Bottom