How to increase water pressure for the garden hose.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So..I've been using the Drama red nozzle and I like it but once I put in a water filter to reduce chlorine and such from the city and the water pressure reduced greatly and that caused the Drama droplets much heavier. Is there anything I can buy to increase the pressure besides removing the water filter ? Thanks

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, you don't need the filter. I am on a public water system with water that has chlorine in it. My trees get watered with that water for the past 10 plus years. I don't have any chlorine filter whatsoever never had a problem because of chlorine.

And no, you can't increase the pressure unless you add a pump to do so and I am not even sure how that would work since you aren't increasing delivery volumes / flow or pressure of the incoming water.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So..I've been using the Drama red nozzle and I like it but once I put in a water filter to reduce chlorine and such from the city and the water pressure reduced greatly and that caused the Drama droplets much heavier. Is there anything I can buy to increase the pressure besides removing the water filter ? Thanks
Really No reason to use the chlorine filter. Remove it.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chlorine in tap water is at pretty low concentrations. Low enough to not harm plants or animals. It's there for bacteria.

It will not accumulate to higher concentrations in soil. It will evaporate out of the water. The act of aerating the water via the dramm nozzle will help it evaporate out even quicker.

I let tap water sit in my carboys for a few days to breath so as to loose some of the chlorine before starting a batch of wine so it doesn't interfere with the yeast. Fresh out of the tap, your trees won't even notice it.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think everyone here thinking you put in the filter to filter out chlorine for your tree bur I believe you have the system for your house. Yes?

If this is the case...and you're probably right...there are inline pump systems. But increasing pressure in a closed line will decrease output volume. You may need to play games with shrinking the output hose diameter or else the low pressure supply side won't have the volume to maintain the higher pressure.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it is an in line filter as suggested, perhaps bypassing it for the outside water hose supply would be possible. Could be a bit of a plumbing headache though

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So many variables...

Even basic things like increasing your hose diameter and using a shorter hose will have an impact. Do you know what your water supply pressure is at the street? Is the filter for all of your water or just your irrigation water?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think everyone here thinking you put in the filter to filter out chlorine for your tree bur I believe you have the system for your house. Yes?
No...just for watering the plants lol.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks everyone, I will remove it....It was recommended by another bonsai friend of mine to get it in first place but now I see that it makes no diff, there's no point having it and have the pressure stalled. Really appreciate it guys!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a Dramm wand too and with the small diameter hoses there just isn’t enough water flowing through the hose to work with the Dramm spray head. So I got one of the mist type heads from Stone Lantern and it does a great job. Just screw off the old head and screw the mist nozzle in its place.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I switched to a dramm nozzle with a lower hole count to fix this issue. If you're using the P1000 or whatever, try the 750 or even lower.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone, I will remove it....It was recommended by another bonsai friend of mine to get it in first place but now I see that it makes no diff, there's no point having it and have the pressure stalled. Really appreciate it guys!
Personally, I'd just ditch the Dramm and get a Masakuni or other Japanese watering wand. I know you will be able to get one at the Potomac Bonsai Assocation show at the Arb. in May (6-8) A number of vendors will likely have them. Or just get one off of Amazon.

FWIW, western watering wands are made to water flower pots, hanging baskets, etc. Fine flow doesn't really make a difference with them. I've had a Dram and a Haws (brass) watering wand--got them 10 years in. They always wound up washing soil off of my bonsai because the holes were too numerous and turned water flow into a dribble--unless I jacked up the water pressure and got 1,000 needles of water that blasted soil off too. I used them once gave them away to gardener friends and went back to a Masakuni/generic Japanese made "bonsai" wand. The Japanese wands are made for bonsai, not potted plants in baskets.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Personally, I'd just ditch the Dramm and get a Masakuni or other Japanese watering wand. I know you will be able to get one at the Potomac Bonsai Assocation show at the Arb. in May (6-8) A number of vendors will likely have them. Or just get one off of Amazon.

FWIW, western watering wands are made to water flower pots, hanging baskets, etc. Fine flow doesn't really make a difference with them. I've had a Dram and a Haws (brass) watering wand--got them 10 years in. They always wound up washing soil off of my bonsai because the holes were too numerous and turned water flow into a dribble--unless I jacked up the water pressure and got 1,000 needles of water that blasted soil off too. I used them once gave them away to gardener friends and went back to a Masakuni/generic Japanese made "bonsai" wand. The Japanese wands are made for bonsai, not potted plants in baskets.
I have one are those but the wand is so short and I have to walk up close to every single tree so I didn't like it much lol. When you have to water close to 100 trees at various locations its a drag.

Top Bottom