How to keep interest?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jameson only has one use and that's Irish Carbombs.
You must be one of those Bushmills Protestants...
😁

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How do you all keep up your interest in bonsai year after year? I've only been growing a couple years and I've really lost interest this year.

I threw out most of stuff and let other die from neglect. The multiple daily waterings, bugs and fungus just takes away the fun.

I have a couple things I want to keep. They are just crappy trees in pots but I like them and they seem to do ok with my shoddy care.

Is it possible to use a more organic type soil with these that won't dry out after a few hours in the summer heat?

I'm giving up on bonsai, I just want potted trees.

You don’t lose interest if you’re still interested. If you’ve lost interest, you’re no longer interested.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Answer to the OP....Its an Artistic adventure, you are either into it or not....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been doing bonsai for going on 25 years. In that time, I've never really lost interest, but have had peaks and valleys. Sometimes, simply keeping trees alive is enough. In those down times, I find visiting bonsai friends, seeing what they're doing, as well as visiting the Bonsai and Penjing Museum can jump start a more productive mindset. In other words, getting out and seeing bonsai, as well as actual forests/trees is refreshing.

Bonsai becomes drudgery if all you do is work bad or mediocre stuff. You feel like you're getting nowhere fast and it is tempting to just give up.

That can be good for some, as they discover that bonsai isn't what they thought it was. It's a lot of work, done over decades. Refusing or neglecting to do the work, results in dead trees. It's a lot like having a child or even a dog. There is no let up in care, it's alot of work and aggravation, but if you're patient, it CAN be extremely fundamentally rewarding.

Top Bottom