How to keep interest?

tinusje

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've grown a lot of weed, other herbs, veggies. After a couple of years a kitchen garden became way too much effort. I lack some discipline. Maybe the home grown weed working its magic ;-) But growing weed also, our climate is not ideal, fall tends to start 3-4 weeks to soon, mildew, rot, lice and friends, neighbours not liking the smell, underage weedrobbers, growing weed is just a pain in the *ss.

Then I've only had my garden, a lot of flowers in the summer, but that was a bit boring. Enter bonsai. Just started 2 years ago but is seems to be a nice mix between boring and backbreaking work. Weed can't wait a couple of weeks, trees normally can. In spring I'm all fired up so I love all the work. But in summer my interest tends to fade a bit. Other hobbies like long bike rides, fishing, canoing, wel just busy. Then in fall interest returns.

But, to be honest, I don't have material that you can call 'bonsai' yet. Dig it out of the garden, chop the trunk and drink beer for the rest of the season, that kind of work. Maintaning several 'finished' trees is without a doubt a whole different ball game. So I will see where interest and discipline brings me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe its not for you... nothing wrong with that. Just do me one favor before you throw away your old wire go buy 10 finger sized scots pine put good movement in the trunks and put them in the ground on tiles.

It seems like a lot of people get out of the hobby for a period and then come back in. Think of it as a cheap investment into your possible future :).

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How do you all keep up your interest in bonsai year after year? I've only been growing a couple years and I've really lost interest this year.

I threw out most of stuff and let other die from neglect. The multiple daily waterings, bugs and fungus just takes away the fun.

I have a couple things I want to keep. They are just crappy trees in pots but I like them and they seem to do ok with my shoddy care.

Is it possible to use a more organic type soil with these that won't dry out after a few hours in the summer heat?

I'm giving up on bonsai, I just want potted trees.
Hey dude my biggest regret with Bonsai was when I was 12 and I got back from summer camp and my mom forgot to water my bonsai for 8 weeks. It was a juniper I had been growing for 2 years up to that point. It was my only tree and I stopped doing bonsai until I turned 36, 3 years ago. When i look back on it, it sucks thinking about, but I really wished I kept doing it, because I would not only have really good trees but I would be a pro. My plan with bonsai this first five years is to focus mainly on maples, I have an elm, a cherry and a JBP as my others but here on out its maples, this year I learned how to wire my first tree, next year I am going to learn how to air layer and keep stuff alive after and cuttings. My first two years I focosed on watering, soil and keeping things alive.

My advice to you is to not give up and focus on one type of species

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Hey dude my biggest regret with Bonsai was when I was 12 and I got back from summer camp and my mom forgot to water my bonsai for 8 weeks. It was a juniper I had been growing for 2 years up to that point. It was my only tree and I stopped doing bonsai until I turned 36, 3 years ago. When i look back on it, it sucks thinking about, but I really wished I kept doing it, because I would not only have really good trees but I would be a pro. My plan with bonsai this first five years is to focus mainly on maples, I have an elm, a cherry and a JBP as my others but here on out its maples, this year I learned how to wire my first tree, next year I am going to learn how to air layer and keep stuff alive after and cuttings. My first two years I focosed on watering, soil and keeping things alive.

My advice to you is to not give up and focus on one type of species
So you did bonsai for 2 years without wiring anything you have? I can not imagine me doing that.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
People with ADHD like symptoms, like I have, can have a hard time sticking with hobbies. But as easy as I lose interest, the same spark can return with the same ease. My brain has some kind of crop rotation system for hobbies, keeps things fresh. And there's no way of forcing it.
I don’t know why but I never put those two things together. I guess that was part of what I was trying to describe. I recently went and got evaluated and diagnosed with ADHD. I rotate hobbies pretty fast too. Thanks for the insight it’s reassuring.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I don’t know why but I never put those two things together. I guess that was part of what I was trying to describe. I recently went and got evaluated and diagnosed with ADHD. I rotate hobbies pretty fast too. Thanks for the insight it’s reassuring.
ADHD sucks when you are an adult..

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for your kind words. I think being selective in choosing my material...and my Bonsai circle who helped me grow.

I actually am horrible at commuting. But did find an herbal remidy that helped me get to Cincinnati. September...I'm not saying no. It's an hour closer for me. I bet I could talk my husband into going. Thanks for planting a seed. Adair also suggested I make it to one real show. I just may do it!
Or at least to one of the large Regional shows the ABS puts on.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Based on your avatar I'd first suggest stop smoking weed. It's a real interest and motivation killer.🤣

Have you tried Diatomaceous earth or pine bark in your soil?
Depends on the individuals motivation level. I personally smoke the hell out of weed before I play with my trees, it actually gives me motivation, releases creatively, and helps with my aching hands without pharmaceuticals. But that's just me.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I have to ask...is there one particular bonsai style that really speaks to you? I would happen to suggest a trunk that leads to that style...and try to develop it more. Forget about the material that is uninspiring. Early on I planted many things I had bought for this hobby...also giving many away to friends for their landscape. Focus on one tree...that really speaks to you. If it's still not your thing. Embrace it's not for everyone.

I really don't know what style it is but my favorite trees are Walter Palls. I like a simple, wide, natural shape.

Maples seem to be my favorite and do pretry good here. My favorite tree at the moment is a norway I yanked out of the woods a few years ago.
The leaves refuse to miniaturize but it still looks like a nice tree when its in leaf and I've had some progress with it.

I have a couple amur I bought at a nursery, a Virginia creeper which has been fun, a chinese elm that is just surviving.
My trident has been the biggest pain. Constant fungus even with multiple fungicide application. If it survives this winter, I'll try and be nicer to it.

I have no interest in doing presentations or getting a group together. Besides, I'm not knowledgeable enough for something like that.

Lol that everyone thinks I'm a pothead, I just like the that avatar. I very rarely smoke anymore. I have depression and anxiety, pot isn't good for either.

I also grow african violets but I had a episode a couple weeks ago and threw out around 30 plants. I occasionally get overwhelmed and something has to go. Rather the plants then my DH or tarantulas.

I do grow a few veggies in the summer. Mostly tomatoes but will be trying different stuff next year.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really don't know what style it is but my favorite trees are Walter Palls. I like a simple, wide, natural shape.

Maples seem to be my favorite and do pretry good here. My favorite tree at the moment is a norway I yanked out of the woods a few years ago.
The leaves refuse to miniaturize but it still looks like a nice tree when its in leaf and I've had some progress with it.

I have a couple amur I bought at a nursery, a Virginia creeper which has been fun, a chinese elm that is just surviving.
My trident has been the biggest pain. Constant fungus even with multiple fungicide application. If it survives this winter, I'll try and be nicer to it.

I have no interest in doing presentations or getting a group together. Besides, I'm not knowledgeable enough for something like that.

Lol that everyone thinks I'm a pothead, I just like the that avatar. I very rarely smoke anymore. I have depression and anxiety, pot isn't good for either.

I also grow african violets but I had a episode a couple weeks ago and threw out around 30 plants. I occasionally get overwhelmed and something has to go. Rather the plants then my DH or tarantulas.

I do grow a few veggies in the summer. Mostly tomatoes but will be trying different stuff next year.
Oh wow...threw out around 30 and assuming still have a lot left. I would personally be overwhelmed with it. I've tried to keep mine at 25 total. And found myself at 27 and feel itchy. Sent a tree to a friend.

Some in reading your post. Bring you contentment. I did look at your past posts to see your material. That Virginia Creeper is cool! Glad it seems to bring you Joy.

My thoughts on trees that are more headache than their Worth. I give them away or plant then in the landscape. Don't keep a tree that is more hassle than it's worth.

I think if you thinned what you have...keep what truly brings you Joy. You may enjoy your journey without feeling so overwhelmed.

I hope you find that...I so enjoy this hobby of ours. But if you can't find peace. Search deep in what would help you find it.

Take care!

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thank you Darlene. I get overwhelmed easily, sometimes I just ignore my responsibilities, sometimes I try to simplify my life.

I don't want to give up, I've always liked plants and have house plants on every available surface inside.

I went out, got my elm and potted it up like a house plant. Maybe having it to fiddle with will help grab my attention again. Its a really bad elm, I completely wasted money buying sight unseen online.

I do have some things in the ground. A couple bloodgood maples that will most likely remain landscape trees and some crabapples I started from seed.
The apples are pole straight and growing very slow. I need to get a decent airlayer instead. I really do want a nice crab.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you Darlene. I get overwhelmed easily, sometimes I just ignore my responsibilities, sometimes I try to simplify my life.

I don't want to give up, I've always liked plants and have house plants on every available surface inside.

I went out, got my elm and potted it up like a house plant. Maybe having it to fiddle with will help grab my attention again. Its a really bad elm, I completely wasted money buying sight unseen online.

I do have some things in the ground. A couple bloodgood maples that will most likely remain landscape trees and some crabapples I started from seed.
The apples are pole straight and growing very slow. I need to get a decent airlayer instead. I really do want a nice crab.
I can't stand feeling overwhelmed...I'm now 48 and I've really focused on triggers and work to lighten those which cause it in my life.

I'm slightly concerned about the elm. I'm from Ohio and we would typically repot in early spring. Be prepared if it sulks. Don't let it break you. Focus on what brings you Joy.

Take care...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Ailing trees can cause anxiety, losing trees can cause depression. Do what's best for you and your health and makes you happy.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put the tomato worms in the Tequila, let um soak a while and then eat the worms....waayy better than weed

Top Bottom