How to lower water ph

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Hi,
To lower water ph that I use to water my bonsai I am using muriatic acid "hydrochloridic diluted acid".

Cause here in Thailand in a month and half is going to be hot season, april and may average of 40 C on shadow, I set up a spry watering system that I mainly use to keep humidity level. I got 1000 liters tank with a system full automize. My water supply has a ph of 7.8, to lower 1000 liters of water to a ph around 6.5 I need to add 75 ml of muriatic acid. Cause the volume of water is much bigger than simply watering I was thinking if muriatic acid is steel the right choice.
Could you please advise, is it still safe to use muriatic acid or better to use other kind of acid as sulfuric, nitric or I dont know, what do you suggest?
Between muriatic, sulfuric, nitric and citric acid which one in your experience affect soil less in time?
Vinager is not a choice cause 1000 liters of water take to much.
If possible I prefere not to use common commercially made ph down solution cause price, much cheeper to use muriatic or other kind of acid as above, considering also quantities needed.
Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I prefer sulfuric if you can get it. I'm a bit scared to increase the chlorine level with muriatic. Nitric or phosphoric acid could be ok but you have to account for that when fertilizing and I hear nitric acid is particularly dangerous. Remember, add acid to water, not water to acid.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Thanks so much for your help.
As told many time already in past threads I am a bonsai rookie, I am learning, long jurney haed. While doing reserch in internet I find everything as well the exact contrary therefore based in what I get from reserch, muriatic acid seems to be the safest one in term of left over in soil but again, after reserch I prefere to get advise here, more reliable.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Thanks and yes, step by step.
I already have a good ph meter left over from past growing experience, not bonsai, once I have mastered ph I will buy an ec meter, learning trip....

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help.
As told many time already in past threads I am a bonsai rookie, I am learning, long jurney haed. While doing reserch in internet I find everything as well the exact contrary therefore based in what I get from reserch, muriatic acid seems to be the safest one in term of left over in soil but again, after reserch I prefere to get advise here, more reliable.
HCl is pretty safe. The chlorine levels are minimal because of the strong effects: you don't need much to lower the pH a lot. Sulfuric acid is safer for plants but it can smell bad.

However, collecting rain water sounds like a solid option for you. If you have a rainy season, you can fill a couple barrels in no time. Just keep the mosquitos out! Add some fish or a cover, or both.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Thanks,
so muriatic and sulfuric acid are ok, no problem about residue left over in soil over time.

Collecting rain water is definitely a way to go, here can be done only during rainy season, june-october cause, between november to may, winter and hot season, practically it never rain.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Base on some test that I performed in past weeks, alongside my past experience in hydroponic, no bonsai obviously, I came to the conclusion that, as you suggested, muriatic and sulfuric is the best option, expecially if we deal with big water tanck, 1000 liters as mine.
Nitric and citric are definitely a big no, no, due to the large ammount needed to bring ph down "2 points for my tap water".
In my specific case, 1000 liter of water with ph of 7.8 takes 80 ml of muriatic against 300 ml of nitric, to get a 6.5 ph
I never tested hydrochloric, " muriatic is diluted hydrochloric acid" cause reperibility and price, more expensive. Muriatic that I usually use is 30% diluted hydrochloric acid, with a ph of 1-2.
Phosphoric acid, I never use it cause I am afraid in P ammount that builds up in soil over time, the usual fertilization involved, etc.
I stay with my muriatic, it is I think the best solution.
Thanks

CarpenterDiaz7

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would this be okay for our bonsai to lower the PH in my water?

Attachments

• 17310DB0-F1A1-4CB0-85F8-FC074839D74D.jpeg
    17310DB0-F1A1-4CB0-85F8-FC074839D74D.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 10

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Should be safe because it's a relatively weak acid. Can't tell you the amount to use because it will vary depending on how alkaline your water source is.

CarpenterDiaz7

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Should be safe because it's a relatively weak acid. Can't tell you the amount to use because it will vary depending on how alkaline your water source is.
Indeed thank you, I will measure the PH and add accordingly like the fellow in the video above.

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Citric acid is ok, the problem is quantity, it takes a lot "depending of curse in how many liters of water you need". In my opinion muriatic and phosphoric are the best choices considering the quantity involved to bring ph down to proper range 5.5-6.5 generally, without increeseng much ec levels too.

Top Bottom