How to make a thick trunk in mame/shohin bonsai ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
For a long time I have been seeing maples and pines with thick trunks that are mame or shohin sized. How do I make that ?

Kudo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Usually the same way bigger bonsai trunks with tapper are developed: let it grow until it thickens to the desired size and chop to select the new leader. Repeat this process until desired taper is achieved. The shohin/mame might be a little more tricky because you must have very lower buds to select a new leader otherwise your trunk won't have taper. For small sizes it is also common to wire a seedling before the trunk thickening process and apply severe bends to create trunk movement.

Kudo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Here is a nice video Bjorn Bjorholm explain the wiring and bending to create future shohin juniper bonsai:

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a nice video Bjorn Bjorholm explain the wiring and bending to create future shohin juniper bonsai:
Thanks so much and I will watch the video since I watched the second part of the juniper videos ! I’m starting maples from seed and I’m hoping I can have something nice in 15 years

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
put it in a big pot or in the ground, grow the leader out, cut heal repeat, develop bones, select branches -years here...annual cuts = healthy plant (no refinement techniques aside from core branch movements)

trees in a bonsai pot can slow to watching stone weather. my comments are for making branches and growing cut trunks forced into new leading trunks.

sure, tree trunks will grow bigger to some degree with time and any methodology, get a trunk size you want now and grow the branches; otherwise, reduce them over time without compromising the health of the plant...or grow a sapling

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Look at Brian Van Fleet’s thread: “Sumo for Smoke” (or something like that). He has documented his development of his trident sumo. He also has a blog where he details how he develops his trees. I highly recommend him. He has excellent photographs and describes what he does extremely well.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Start off with great nebari through airlayer/seedling cutting, allow to ground grow for a few years after putting aggressive movement in the lowest part of the whip.

Then its all about yearly chops while caring for the wounds so they heal properly. 5-15 years later you start growing most of the branches.

If you are super interested in maples, get this book:
D1769555-0F10-43E2-8B40-E36200BA14C2.jpeg
DEBCF9AF-EED5-4EAE-8EDE-1B35D6F1B847.jpeg

This is the maple bible.

Top Bottom