Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So a month ago, I found this microcarpa in the nursery for 7€ ( about 9$):

IMG_20220531_120101.jpg

I chopped, repotted and trimmed roots:

IMG_20220622_193239.jpg

Problem is, I have looked this afternoon, and I see it is backbudding.....a crazy backbudding (about 5 buds per square inch all over the trunk).
So, I will have to kill 90+% of those buds....Wich should I keep?

Edit: Thinking about it, I guess the answer is to keep those that acomplish the design, ie those close to the cutting scars and those that can give me the shape I'm looking for. I guess I panicked seeing that much buds....

Last edited:

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Knock the buds off that you don’t need early so you don’t have cut knob scars everywhere.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Your answer is pretty much what I'd do too. Keep any that will enhance the design - new leader, well placed branches and rub off the rest. I generally keep 2 or 3 at each chosen site until I am happy that one is growing well. Often one will take off with long internodes and that suppresses growth of the other which ends up with short internodes and better growth pattern. At some stage the strong one is removed leaving a better branch.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Your answer is pretty much what I'd do too. Keep any that will enhance the design - new leader, well placed branches and rub off the rest. I generally keep 2 or 3 at each chosen site until I am happy that one is growing well. Often one will take off with long internodes and that suppresses growth of the other which ends up with short internodes and better growth pattern. At some stage the strong one is removed leaving a better branch.
great idea

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: Following Shibui advice, and after rubbing off a thousand buds, choping undesired branches, and a partial defoliation, it looks like this right now....

JMK_1366.jpg

In my climate, this one will continue to grow outside in winter, so I will be wiring and styling it in a couple of months....

Last edited:

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: Following Shibui advice, and after rubbing off a thousand buds, choping undesired branches, and a partial defoliation, it looks like this right now....

View attachment 462093

In my climate, this one will continue to grow outside in winter, so I will be wiring and styling it in a couple of months....
What a transformation! I love ficus, lol.

Top Bottom