How to Order Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees (while you still can)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spoke with Diane Robinson last weekend, (and signed what I believe to be the last unsold copies of the first printing), and she told me she has ordered a 1,000 copy second printing from the same printer in China. These should arrive in the next month or so, and once again be available through the Elandan web site at the top of the thread. I believe Wayne Schoech at Stone Lantern will also be carrying a number of copies, but the exact number seems to be in flux. I hope you enjoy it if you get a copy.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's great, glad it'll be available. Was really nice to see that Dan has 2 trees in the Artisans Cup, that's a happy thing.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's great, glad it'll be available. Was really nice to see that Dan has 2 trees in the Artisans Cup, that's a happy thing.

Yes, it is a good thing. He and Diane were over today talking about it, and about many other things, among which:

The Second Edition books of Gnarly Branches have arrived. I'll be signing a bunch for sale through Elandan, and Diane will also be setting up a booth at the Artisans Cup to sell signed copies. She's also taking with her some of my trees that I've tried to sell, and will also offer them there for sale.

They also honored me deeply by offering to have a few of my better trees join Dan's masterpieces on display in the garden at Elandan (since I am liquidating my collection), an honor beyond my wildest dreams.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good to know your work will live on in a excellent enviroment and on display.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, two posts up I said "Second Edition" - that was in error: It should read, "Second Printing". (It's unchanged from before).

Reactions: Vin

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an "interesting" - and to me, both amusing and amazing - update about Dan's book: Today, out of curiosity, I went to look at its listing on Amazon, just to see what sorts of ridiculous prices the "First Printing" used copies were being offered for now ... here's the tally from three current vendors:

1. $1557.40, three copies available.
2. $899.69, one copy.
3. $662.69, one copy.

Yeow! I'm assuming those are all copies of the First Printing, and likely signed by either Dan or I, or both. Part of my reason for assuming this was another recent used copy being offered on Amazon for $35. Anyone still interested in the book, however, can get a brand new copy of the Second Printing - unchanged from the First Printing, I assume after a cursory look at it - (I bequeathed the rights to the book to Dan and his family as the First Printing ran out, and they did the Second Printing entirely without me) - for $50 plus tax and shipping I think, by contacting Dan's wife, Diane, at Elandan Gardens, 360-373-8260.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi @grouper52
I purchased the book (2nd edition) and enjoyed it.
I am curious about Dan's collecting practices. It seems he just stopped on the side of the road when he saw interesting trees and started digging. Permission to collect seems to be an area that is unaddressed anywhere in the book.
Did Dan have collection permits for the wild areas? Did he seek permission from landowners?
Not trying to knock him (or you) down, its just a topic that gets a lot of attention here and I wonder what practices were followed back then.
CW

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi @grouper52
I am curious about Dan's collecting practices. It seems he just stopped on the side of the road when he saw interesting trees and started digging. Permission to collect seems to be an area that is unaddressed anywhere in the book.
Did Dan have collection permits for the wild areas? Did he seek permission from landowners?
Not trying to knock him (or you) down, its just a topic that gets a lot of attention here and I wonder what practices were followed back then.
CW

The book was not about such things, which is why the issue wasn't addressed. Seems it is foremost for you, however: " ... and enjoyed it." occupies a small, small part of your written landscape.

As far as I recall, the places I went collecting with him, and Larry Jackel, George Heffelfinger and such, were places he had collected before, and either didn't need permits, or had been checked out with landowners on past trips or the current one whenever possible. To bring pines, specifically, back across the US border from Canada required a "Pine Permit" from the Feds for purposes related to some past infestation, and both he and I went through the process to obtain one.

'Nuff said.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Hi @grouper52
CW

Wow... You got some pretty big balls to be asking that... Rude AF in my opinion. You might consider a formal apology or at the minimum asking BNut to delete your post...

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just an "interesting" - and to me, both amusing and amazing - update about Dan's book: Today, out of curiosity, I went to look at its listing on Amazon, just to see what sorts of ridiculous prices the "First Printing" used copies were being offered for now ... here's the tally from three current vendors:

1. $1557.40, three copies available.
2. $899.69, one copy.
3. $662.69, one copy.

Yeow! I'm assuming those are all copies of the First Printing, and likely signed by either Dan or I, or both. Part of my reason for assuming this was another recent used copy being offered on Amazon for $35. Anyone still interested in the book, however, can get a brand new copy of the Second Printing - unchanged from the First Printing, I assume after a cursory look at it - (I bequeathed the rights to the book to Dan and his family as the First Printing ran out, and they did the Second Printing entirely without me) - for $50 plus tax and shipping I think, by contacting Dan's wife, Diane, at Elandan Gardens, 360-373-8260.

Wow, those prices are nuts! I guess the copy I have that's signed by you both is now officially a collector's item. =)

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope to get myself a copy sometime soon, maybe with my tax return! I love Dan's trees.
I don't think @CWTurner meant any disrespect, he is a good dude here on the forum.

Top Bottom