How to overwinter 1st year seedlings

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the same question for JBP and jap maples.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For zone 8 you will probably be able to get away with minimal protection. Mulch them in and protect them from wind will likely be enough. Even just on the ground out of the wind and sun may be enough.

For zone 6 a little bit more protection may be in order. The normal zone 6 winter weather is generally not a problem it is the swings and the random below 0 nights. At a minimum mulch them in in a protected spot. For more protection a cold frame or unheated garage may be a good choice. Some people use window wells. Beware of letting the trees dry out.

The trick is finding a spot that stays constant below ~40 degrees F but above ~20 degrees F.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Here in zone 7b N. GA, I've overwintered my JBP seedlings just like I have overwintered full size JBP. They stay outside, freeze solid when it's cold, and get mulched over when it's very cold. In MO, you'd probably be best served keeping them in an outbuilding for the coldest months of the winter.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For zone 8 you will probably be able to get away with minimal protection. Mulch them in and protect them from wind will likely be enough. Even just on the ground out of the wind and sun may be enough.

For zone 6 a little bit more protection may be in order. The normal zone 6 winter weather is generally not a problem it is the swings and the random below 0 nights. At a minimum mulch them in in a protected spot. For more protection a cold frame or unheated garage may be a good choice. Some people use window wells. Beware of letting the trees dry out.

The trick is finding a spot that stays constant below ~40 degrees F but above ~20 degrees F.
Here in zone 7b N. GA, I've overwintered my JBP seedlings just like I have overwintered full size JBP. They stay outside, freeze solid when it's cold, and get mulched over when it's very cold. In MO, you'd probably be best served keeping them in an outbuilding for the coldest months of the winter.
Thanks to both of ya, I'll see what my circumstances permit and prepare accordingly

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I planted all my seedlings in pots into the ground in late October. Before I planted them the leaves were turning blue and now they're growing again. My bald Cypress are Even still growing. I guess the ground is a lot warmer than my table

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You know, the short answer is you give seedlings the exact same winter protection you give mature trees of the same species. This answer is good for species that are native to your area, or are capable of survival in climates colder than your area.

However, there's a few complications, most likely to come up when growing species that are native to warmer climates than your own.

For example, I'm in zone 5, north of the area where bald cypress are naturally reproducing. BC trees more than a year or two old do well planted in the landscape.
When raising BC from seed, the seedlings need summer heat in order to sprout. At my home they don't sprout until late June, or sometimes not until middle of July, because our spring and early summer can be rather cool. Our first frost can be as early as beginning of October, leaving less than 100 day growing season for these late sprouting seedlings. This means that they don't have time to fully mature and harden off. To get them to survive I protect them from getting colder than +28 F for the first winter. Subsequent years they sprout on time and are wintered outdoors under the bench like adults trees.

So if seed sprouted really late, protect from extreme cold.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You know, the short answer is you give seedlings the exact same winter protection you give mature trees of the same species. This answer is good for species that are native to your area, or are capable of survival in climates colder than your area.

However, there's a few complications, most likely to come up when growing species that are native to warmer climates than your own.

For example, I'm in zone 5, north of the area where bald cypress are naturally reproducing. BC trees more than a year or two old do well planted in the landscape.
When raising BC from seed, the seedlings need summer heat in order to sprout. At my home they don't sprout until late June, or sometimes not until middle of July, because our spring and early summer can be rather cool. Our first frost can be as early as beginning of October, leaving less than 100 day growing season for these late sprouting seedlings. This means that they don't have time to fully mature and harden off. To get them to survive I protect them from getting colder than +28 F for the first winter. Subsequent years they sprout on time and are wintered outdoors under the bench like adults trees.

So if seed sprouted really late, protect from extreme cold.
I started my seeds indoors in early spring, they're all around 2 feet tall or taller. All the seedlings I was concerned about I buried already and they started growing again. We had rain for about a week right after I buried them. I'm just a little surprised they're still growing

Top Bottom