How to pinch scale junipers!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I usually take a little more off when I cut back. It thins the foliage. I don’t just try to get the outline smooth. So, the growth is a little more lignified than the terminal shoot, so I use scissors rather than fingers.

A pyramid would be symmetrical. I don’t do that. It also assumes no negative space. I don’t do that either. The Egyptian pyramids have chambers inside. I strive to have interior foliage, not a void under the exterior canopy.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A pyramid would be symmetrical. I don’t do that. It also assumes no negative space. I don’t do that either. The Egyptian pyramids have chambers inside. I strive to have interior foliage, not a void under the exterior canopy.

But....you see...the....
Oh never mind.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The key when “Pinching” is to remove whatever you’re removing back to a crotch. Don’t leave a needle cut (or pinched) back 1/2 it’s length. Take the whole thing.
Excuse my ignorance. English is not my first language, but I’m getting there. What do you mean by removing back to a crotch ? All the way to the branch ?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Excuse my ignorance. English is not my first language, but I’m getting there. What do you mean by removing back to a crotch ? All the way to the branch ?
Remove whatever you are going to remove completely. Don’t leave a stub.

Top Bottom