how to plant desert rose?

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Over a month ago, I had to trim some roots of my desert rose because of root rot. It's time to repot it. Now some roots are much shorter than others. Please see the photos. I really hope the short roots can grow back so all the roots can have the same length. Should I bury the entire roots part in the soil so that the roots can grow back?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 33

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the black? Some kind of sealant? Or just an artifact of the photo??

I would not use a sealant on a succulent...especially the roots. I think you're just asking for more issues near the wound that way. Sealants under soil can trap moisture near the wound site...which is exactly what you don't want.

A desert rose can sit out of the soil for months. I've let some of mine sit out of soil all dormant season without issue. First, make sure you've trimmed back to healthy tissue. Rot can and will follow a vein up the plant and kill more of it! The was succulents store water make them very vulnerable once rot gets inside! Let it sit out until the wounds are dry and the plant has had some time to compartmentalize the wound. There may be further die back. A week is usually good enough. Two won't hurt.

If you want to try and get all the roots the same length again, you can try burying all of them to the highest remaining root. But remember to water sparingly...you don't want to get it back into a rot situation! You can use the turgidity of the "trunk" to know when to water. If it is hard...no water necessary. When it goes dormant again, you can lift it and see if new roots are forming where you want them. Trim those that aren't.

Lather/rinse/repeat...

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
What's the black? Some kind of sealant? Or just an artifact of the photo??

I would not use a sealant on a succulent...especially the roots. I think you're just asking for more issues near the wound that way. Sealants under soil can trap moisture near the wound site...which is exactly what you don't want.

A desert rose can sit out of the soil for months. I've let some of mine sit out of soil all dormant season without issue. First, make sure you've trimmed back to healthy tissue. Rot can and will follow a vein up the plant and kill more of it! The was succulents store water make them very vulnerable once rot gets inside! Let it sit out until the wounds are dry and the plant has had some time to compartmentalize the wound. There may be further die back. A week is usually good enough. Two won't hurt.

If you want to try and get all the roots the same length again, you can try burying all of them to the highest remaining root. But remember to water sparingly...you don't want to get it back into a rot situation! You can use the turgidity of the "trunk" to know when to water. If it is hard...no water necessary. When it goes dormant again, you can lift it and see if new roots are forming where you want them. Trim those that aren't.

Lather/rinse/repeat...
Thank you soooo much! I will remove sealant before repotting it. I did not know that. Really appreciate all the suggestions!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If my memory serves me right, these can be cut to the same plane. Then eft out to dry & create a dry "skin" over the cuts for a few weeks. Once planted in substrate with ever so little moisture, they should start rooting again.

I would consider popping into a succulent or even desert rose forum. Seems like a decent sized one, would be a shame to not have the best info there is on dealing with this. As @LittleDingus mentioned.. Succulents can easily be ruined with the rot moving through the trunk fast

Top Bottom