How to proceed with trident?

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey guys,
I bought this trident online a few months ago. It came from Cali and took 6 days to get here. It was all burnt when I got it. I put her in the shade and waited when it popped new leaves I started feeding. It's coming back very nicely.

The tree has a lot of ramification but it is structured very poorly. I'm not sure why the previous owner let so many shoots grow from the same spot but almost every branch is the same. 5-10 branches shooting out of the same spot. I want to reduce it properly down to 2 branch max where it splits.
Can I do this work now or do I "have" to wait until fall/ spring. I don't see the benefit in leaving all these shoots to suck away energy, cuz they are going to get cut off anyway...

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 88

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are many threads here about trident maple. To continue to present them over and over is redundant.
I'm not sure why the previous owner let so many shoots grow from the same spot but almost every branch is the same.
Thanks guys.

The more important question is why you would purchase a plant like this? If one is going to work on a plant with such a thin trunk, and basically remove all the branches, why not start with a seedling, and grow them where you want?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mugo Trident!

No offense.

I agree...I wouldn't support a place that grows shit (that you CAN turn into something) like this and sells it as bonsai.

There are much more reputable sellers who actually work to make the tree correct, even as "prebonsai".

And without the Caliborn headaches.

http://www.natureswaybonsai.com/

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/page/1442817

Sorce

Planta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was a private sale and I'm new so I couldn't tell from the pictures that it was like that....
My other tree is from New England bonsai so I do support them. I just thought it was better than it is. Inexperience on my part.

Sorry for the redundant post.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Planta,

The problem of the multiple branches is easily solved, just cut the branch back. Don't keep any of them! There's already a knob formed there.

Branches are easy on a trident.

What Smoke was saying is you need a heavier trunk. With taper.

The other point Smoke was making is to read the existing posts the forum for answers before asking a question. You will likely learn lots more than you expected that way.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This forum has been going for over ten years now. It is a trove a good articles on the care of maple. A cursory use of the search function here will yield you hundreds of threads on trident maple. Many from the beginning and some as current as yesterday, "pigletts progress."

Your answers about your purchase make sense. Now all you need to do is start over. Good luck with your tree and hope you find what your looking for.

Top Bottom