How to promote back-budding?

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A have a dead branch on my Acer ginnala. What is the best way to promote budding near the spot of this branch?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Photo please?
if its the dead branch there will be no back budding on it,
In general backbuding is promoted by trimming/cutting the growth, so lets say we are still in winter, if you trim now all the shoots to couple of internodes, when tree wakes up the energy that is stored will push through and create the new buds.

Fertilizing helps a lot too.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Do you mean back budding on the trunk where the branch emanates from? Bit of a crap shoot really. Have you thought about thread grafting? That way you can ensure (assuming it takes) that your new branch is where you want it.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
if its the dead branch there will be no back budding on it,

That is what i am aware :D Was thinking more if there can be raised chance of producing another bud near this branch if i would cut it away.

Have you thought about thread grafting?

Will have to look into this obviously. Don't wan't to kill the tree though. Have never grafted before.

Will provide photo as soon i am at home today.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
...so lets say we are still in winter, if you trim now all the shoots to couple of internodes, when tree wakes up the energy that is stored will push through and create the new buds.

Another thing, this tree will be re-potted this spring. Is it safe to trim the shoots now and still do the repot?
Also, is it safe to thread graft after the repot?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/grafting-101.26456/ Not the first tutorial, but the second one. The whole thread is an education though.

In all honesty, I’ve never tried it either but it looks simple enough if you follow the correct procedure and take your time. Drill a clean hole, poke an existing whip through and seal it up is the long and the short of it but Acers are prime for this kind of thing usually.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cut it off and leave the branch collar and a slight stub in place. If a bud develops you’ve got a start. If no bud develops....well, you were going to cut it off anyway. I’d give the cutting a try before a graft attempt.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cut it off and leave the branch collar and a slight stub in place. If a bud develops you’ve got a start. If no bud develops....well, you were going to cut it off anyway. I’d give the cutting a try before a graft attempt.

i am fairly sure that the branch is dead all the way to the trunk...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Acer ginala is very good at budding.
The base of any branch has lots of potential buds waiting for a chance to grow. Dead branch or no, the intact collar at the has of the branch has potential buds.
Cutting the dead branch will not raise the chances of new buds at the base. Leaving it will not raise the chances. There is no issue here.
Trees generally prefer to grow taller so while the main trunk is growing well they will often suppress buds lower down. Hence the advice to cut the trunk. you could just leave it and hope it will bud voluntarily. Photos would help us make and assessment of likelyhood.
You can prune and repot Acer ginala in the same year or in the same operation.
Thread graft at the same time as repot is better because you won't be moving new roots. Thread graft a few months after repot is OK because roots have re-established but by then the leaves will have grown and thread graft becomes difficult.

Maybe you can see that some of these options depend WHERE on a tree the issue is. Some photos would give us guidance and maybe get you specific recommendations rather than general principles.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wouldn't cut it off until something in the vicinity shows promise. Sculpt it into a jin large enough to take up space, for now. When the season for growth comes and you can put it on the bench, set it on a mirror and point the area you want a bud at maximum sun this summer (for me, ~215°). Apply kelp meal on the soil surface and then watering once every other week with fulvic acid at ~5 grams/gal water and otherwise keep it well-watered and fed. Replenish the kelp periodically. And cross your fingers.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have written in previous reply that i will take a picture as soon i get home from work. Thanks guys!

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The tree (don't judge, a man must learn somehow :) ):
20200207_163650.jpg

The branch:
20200207_163615.jpg
20200207_163628.jpg

And this little guy who i have totally overlooked, next to the dead branch:
20200207_163709.jpg

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is it only side branch that is dead or the big one coming out of the trunk as well? if only side one is dead to me, it looks like that branch is way to close to the trunk, i would remove it and also remove everything that grows in that area.
If both/big branch is dead, i would cut it short, keep the small shoot, let it grow and get strength and remove rest of the dead branch mid summer or next winter.
But thats me, you will probably hear a lot of different opinions......

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Only the right branch is dead. And they are about the same size and width. Weird angle of the photo...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are you saying the right fork of the trunk?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do I see extremely deep wire marks encircling the callus at the base of several branches? That's asking for problems, like choking a whole branch.

Top Bottom