How to prune a ficus

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG ok, so this isn't exactly a bonsai question, but I need help and I think you guys might be the best to answer my questions!

I have had this ficus for over 10 years which I found in the garbage on the sidewalk. I've never pruned it except to remove dead. Over the years it's gotten a little too tall (around 7') and the branches are a little too far reaching and kind of leggy/gangly. It's not full in the middle at all and doesn't have a great shape it.

So I'd like to cut it back to promote growth in the middle, but I'm afraid of harming/killing it. If I cut branches down but leave a little foliage, will that promote new interior growth? Any/all advice welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry if you don't like my post. I can't find a "how to prune a ficus" forum and thought some bonsai people could help since ficus is so popular. Thanks for your valuable input.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Kjr928 ,

Welcome - Hello,

fertilise for one month , once a week, and then cut back to the first leaf.

Ideally if you love this tree, get about 5 small ones and practice on them first.
You can also test on cuttings taken from the mother, but it makes sense not to
experiment with mother.

If at all possible, put off trimming mother for one year and learn from the rooted cuttings.
Best of Growing.
Good Day
Anthony

*Using the @ plus the member's name will notify them if you need help.
Look for @Leo in N E Illinois

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 146672 View attachment 146674 ok, so this isn't exactly a bonsai question, but I need help and I think you guys might be the best to answer my questions!

I have had this ficus for over 10 years which I found in the garbage on the sidewalk. I've never pruned it except to remove dead. Over the years it's gotten a little too tall (around 7') and the branches are a little too far reaching and kind of leggy/gangly. It's not full in the middle at all and doesn't have a great shape it.

So I'd like to cut it back to promote growth in the middle, but I'm afraid of harming/killing it. If I cut branches down but leave a little foliage, will that promote new interior growth? Any/all advice welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

A light pruning won't hurt this tree one bit. If you want to play it safe, make sure that whenever you prune a branch, you leave behind at least two viable branches to take over. You can be more aggressive than that, but if you were to prune the whole tree this way, you'd get a decent reduction and you'd get more interior branches.

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for your replies! Very helpful. Do any of you have any fertilizer recommendations for this tree?

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
If it were my ficus, I would cut here to develop a wide, flat canopy.
View attachment 146692
LOL thanks for the visual explanation and love the antennas on my kid.
Will def consider a wide flat canopy but also have to consider the space it will take up when I bring it back in for the winter. Might not want it too wide since it's "getting in the way" at this point.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus are pretty forgiving. This is the fertilizer I use for trees around my yard. You can get it at a nursery or any big box store.20170521_114948.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find that if you just give ficus lots of water, fertilizer and sun, they will close the whole canopy in a matter of week. Maybe you are just keeping it too dry, dark etc?

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
I find that if you just give ficus lots of water, fertilizer and sun, they will close the whole canopy in a matter of week. Maybe you are just keeping it too dry, dark etc?
It could be! I did cut a lot back today to get the size under control. Next i will try some ferts and extra water, etc. Moving it to a sunnier spot will be difficult since it's so heavy but I'll see what I can do! Thanks so much!

Kjr928

Seedling
Reaction score
IMG_1682.JPG Hi! Just wanted to give an update. I trimmed it way back, added some new soil & ferts, lots of water, and this is how it filled in! Just what I wanted, so thanks for your help!

(It's a little hard to see with the arborvitae in the back, but I can't move it!)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't you feel happy when you see new growth? I'll hug the first thing I see....

hug2.gif

No matter how long I pawed his skull, he wouldn't go to sleep.
Great to see your ficus is happy!!:)

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just pruned/chopped one up today:)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg And this one was my moms. I cut it down from 7' two years ago and reported it today.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Awesome!

How thoughtful of you to come back with this!

You are Fully ready for Bonsai!

Tree looks beautiful! Don't be afraid to keep it in shape!

Sorce

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom