How to prune this portulacaria afra

Banana

Seed
Reaction score
Any tips on pruning this portulacaria afra? It‘s only growing in one direction and a lot of the branches are thin. There is only leaf growth on the top of the branches and often the leaves just dry up and fall off :( I generally water once a week, or when the soil feels dry. I‘d like it to be more full and want to create a better shape. I‘m just not sure where to cut. Heeeelp!

Attachments

• IMG_4585.jpeg
    IMG_4585.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4586.jpeg
    IMG_4586.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4583.jpeg
    IMG_4583.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 66

Mammal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like it's not getting enough light.

If you live in a frost-free area, that tree could benefit from being outside under the sun. If you live in an area with winter, it could benefit from being in your sunniest (south or west) window--or preferably under a grow light. P. afra likes a lot of light.

Mine always dropped lots of leaves and went into zombie mode when I kept them indoors over winter without supplemental light. This year, I've got them under strong grow lights, and they're keeping nearly as vigorous as they do outside during summer.

I wouldn't do any pruning on yours until it's more vigorous. They're tough trees, and it would probably survive a pruning now, but I actually have managed to kill one by doing heavy work when it was in winter zombie mode. (OK, I did a full trunk chop along with a root prune, but still, the tree would've definitely survived that if I'd done it in summer.)

Banana

Seed
Reaction score
Looks like it's not getting enough light.

If you live in a frost-free area, that tree could benefit from being outside under the sun. If you live in an area with winter, it could benefit from being in your sunniest (south or west) window--or preferably under a grow light. P. afra likes a lot of light.

Mine always dropped lots of leaves and went into zombie mode when I kept them indoors over winter without supplemental light. This year, I've got them under strong grow lights, and they're keeping nearly as vigorous as they do outside during summer.

I wouldn't do any pruning on yours until it's more vigorous. They're tough trees, and it would probably survive a pruning now, but I actually have managed to kill one by doing heavy work when it was in winter zombie mode. (OK, I did a full trunk chop along with a root prune, but still, the tree would've definitely survived that if I'd done it in summer.)
I have it by a West facing window but maybe I will invest in some grow lights. I’m in Germany, so we have winter now. Hopefully a grow light will help, and I’ll hold on pruning for now. Thank you!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings! Welcome to Bonsai Nut!!

It’s a great place to get some really good tips and tricks in one’s quest in developing awesome bonsai.

Checked out your images. What I see is a weak tree. Folks above have pointed out the tree needs more light and I totally agree. Adding a decent grow light will help.

This does not seem to be the sole cause of the tree’s problem. It looks like the issue is also with the roots/media . Not sure if the roots are diseased, but am pretty sure the tree needs repotting into a larger container with refreshed media next spring. This will allow close inspection of the roots to identify/correct any problems. A larger pot will give a chance for the roots to strengthen and expand. Merely tease out the old media and tease in new media when repotting.

Others will likely weigh in on all this… given the tree responds strongly next year, one might consider a hard cut back the following year to reshape the tree.

cheers
DSD sends

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ports are really hardy and shouldn't look like that. Lights will for sure help, as well as getting it into better medium/larger pot. They also respond well to fertilizer. Here's one I bought from Lowe's for $10 two years back. I bought my mom one as well at the same time. She keeps hers indoors without lights and it looks like arse and is a fraction of the size of mine. Keep in mind that they are basically succulents and don't need as much water as trees do. I water the ports in the grow tent only once a week.

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom