How to remove lime deposits?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I have hard water with lots of lime where I live. Pretty much all of my trees, but especially the elms show white discoloration and caking on the bark from lime. What is a good method to remove it? Also are there any water hose attachments that I can put on my hose to filter out the lime?

Thanks,
Julian

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That thread describes removing lime from pots, the OP asked about trunks.

Bleu I would try VERY gentle scrubbing with a very soft toothbrush and/or a soft scrub pad. You can get softer scrub pads than what come on a sponge. Ive seen a few different colored ones bundled at Home Depot. Each color is a different roughness I think. As far as filtering, I cant help you there. Maybe take a look at the plumbing department to see what is available and/as someone there.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I think you should utilize the search function of the site---there is much on this subject. Check what others in your area are doing--you may have nasty water. If your water is full of minerals it may be easier to use RO water or captured rain water to avoid the headache--there is hose end filters but they won't work. Some folks resort to acid injecting their water. Once your water is fixed, tooth brushing deposits--then use vinegar with toothbrush helps remove the stuff.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
In the pot with the tree?
I have massaged the bark with vinegar, swabbed it with paper towels, then rinsed it. Luckily I don't have this problem anymore because I use rain water drawn from 900 gallon plus rain water storage.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had pretty good success removing lime scale by burying the pot for a few months under soil, or pine bark, other bark mulch or bark-based soil conditioner. The acidity of the mulch/soil will dissolve it. Sometimes it can take a while, though like six months.

papymandarin

Shohin
Reaction score
i brush the trunk and nebari with a toothbrush and a mix of 50/50 water/white vinegar, scrub, let it for around 15minutes, then rinse by watering the tree, clean!

Top Bottom