How to remove stains on pots?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I recently recieved several mid grade Japanese pots, most have some bad lime deposit build up. Any suggestions for removal? I scrub and scrub but they won't come off.

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lime Away, CLR or other acid-type cleaner. I think there is a gel-type one (kind of like Naval Jelly) that might be good since it would stick on. Even vinegar might help.

I've also heard that burying them for a while will do the trick, but you might not get enough rain for that to work.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Elbow grease and plenty of water and a pumice stone will do the trick.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
WD40
HarryH swears by a can of Coke.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Irene, you got that right, I have seen a show that talked about this, they use the stuff to clean thier plant, as well as selling it to rot ourselves:eek:

WD 40 works on every thing else why not.

Just agreeing, haven't tried them yet, although I will soon, got some pots at this weekends club picnic/auction.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've tried all of the above. Sometimes those solutions work. Sometimes they don't. I've soaked pots in full strength vinegar for four days and the build up didn't go away...I think it can depend on the type of clay used for the pot and specific kind of mineral stain.

I have found that the best solution is burying the pot in the ground for a long while. It works, but it can take a year or longer, depending on how heavy the build up is.

Beware pumice stone, too much elbow grease and pumice can severely scratch pot surfaces.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found that the best solution is burying the pot in the ground for a long while. It works, but it can take a year or longer, depending on how heavy the build up is.

I've heard of this and always wondered why it would work to get rid of hard water stains. What does burying it do?
Mary B.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've tried all of the above. Sometimes those solutions work. Sometimes they don't. I've soaked pots in full strength vinegar for four days and the build up didn't go away...I think it can depend on the type of clay used for the pot and specific kind of mineral stain.

Beware pumice stone, too much elbow grease and pumice can severely scratch pot surfaces.

I don't know how much elbow grease we are talking about...but I have never scratched a pot with a pumice stone for toilets. MUST USE WATER THOUGH!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"What does burying it do?"

It works in a couple of ways. The surrounding soil is probably more acidic (unless you live in a desert) which will dissolve lime over time. Also microbial action in the soil will consume the material also.

Yeah, must use water with abrasives...:D

I've been wondering if commercial bathroom soap scum removers (which can contain lime and rust removers also) would work. Haven't tried those yet...

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
"What does burying it do?"

It works in a couple of ways. The surrounding soil is probably more acidic (unless you live in a desert) which will dissolve lime over time. Also microbial action in the soil will consume the material also.

Yeah, must use water with abrasives...:D

I've been wondering if commercial bathroom soap scum removers (which can contain lime and rust removers also) would work. Haven't tried those yet...

The Works,,,Can get it at wally world...

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I got some lime away to try. So far I used a pumice stone and it worked great- just alot of elbow grease!

mike108

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always clean mine with oil and a towel or cloth that wont leave and hairs behind works like a charm glazed or unglazed.

Top Bottom