How to repot/prune roots of this Cork Oak?

biomanz

Seedling
Reaction score
Got from a nursery and the soil was heavily compacted in a growing pot. Wanted to put in a shallower 3" pot but don't even have tools to chop these thick roots (thickest one is about 1.25 inches thick). Is it even safe to chop them? Or should I repot with the soil level just above the bottom horizontal root?

Attachments

• 20210718_192351.jpg
    20210718_192351.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210718_192415.jpg
    20210718_192415.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20210718_192600.jpg
    20210718_192600.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 115

biomanz

Seedling
Reaction score
Not sure that I’d repot one in the summer here in Southern CA. Where are you located? The ones I have can tolerate some root work for sure, but before springtime.
In the bay area. It's been foggy and cool the past few weeks, but the soil came so compacted it took almost an hr to drain down. I put it back in the soil I dug out as I figure out how to prune the roots.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rots o' Rucko_O. Do not believe is wise to repot at this season. Ask advice first/repot later. Possibly multitude of roots can save tree.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Oaks do not like hard root pruning. Mine usually take a few years to get over radical root chops and that's spring root pruning but who knows. maybe they do better when root pruned in summer?????

I would not cut off the big roots in one go even though there are some smaller roots around the base of the trunk. Looks like just a bit much for cork oak from the little experience I have. i would opt for a much safer root layer - tie a wire round the thick roots where you want new roots to start and replant intact. Constriction will slowly force new roots rather than the sudden cut. Just my 2c

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oaks do not like hard root pruning. Mine usually take a few years to get over radical root chops and that's spring root pruning but who knows. maybe they do better when root pruned in summer?????

I would not cut off the big roots in one go even though there are some smaller roots around the base of the trunk. Looks like just a bit much for cork oak from the little experience I have. i would opt for a much safer root layer - tie a wire round the thick roots where you want new roots to start and replant intact. Constriction will slowly force new roots rather than the sudden cut. Just my 2c
The idea of applying wire for a root layer to stimulate roots up higher is interesting. A good practical direction to apply that lets the tree self-correct the root problem.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should not have touched this until it was dormant. Late winter or very early spring would have been appropriate. I hope it lives because I see potential. If it does live I bet you set it back a couple years at least.
It may have been in a poorly draining mix, but it was obviously not suffering. It's suffering now my friend.

sbap

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I recently got a cork oak tree and it's currently in a 3-gallon pot. I am planning to repot it this coming spring and I do see a potentially large root up high on my tree similar to what is pictured in this original post - I am wondering just how aggressive one can be with working with the roots of a cork oak? How much of the large roots in the original photos do you think could have been safely removed if the repotting was done while the tree was dormant?

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To me I don’t see a root problem because I see it exposing the upper roots up to that fat circle part and allowing new roots to grow. But I just think that would be cool! I would imagine this tree didn’t make it though. Hopefully it did, it’s nice!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently got a cork oak tree and it's currently in a 3-gallon pot. I am planning to repot it this coming spring and I do see a potentially large root up high on my tree similar to what is pictured in this original post - I am wondering just how aggressive one can be with working with the roots of a cork oak? How much of the large roots in the original photos do you think could have been safely removed if the repotting was done while the tree was dormant?

I don't have a lot of experience with Q suber, but I have a few. I got caught out trying too much root pruning all at once on one of my trees and killed it. Substantially retarded new growth on another. I will be more cautious/patient in future repots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
If it have a very big taproot is better to cut it progressively and built a good fine root system , they dont like hard root prunings all in once

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Be careful with cork oaks, they do not like their roots to be messed with too aggressively. Better to move slowly and cautiously, particularly if there are only a few big roots without a fine network of smaller roots. I would keep as many roots as possible, move it into a good soil, see how it does, and then check a year later to see if the roots have improved before I started to prune the roots.

sbap

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Excellent - thanks for the guidance.

Should some of the old soil be left with these guys (like you do with pines), or can they be cleaned like the one in the photos?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Should some of the old soil be left with these guys (like you do with pines), or can they be cleaned like the one in the photos?
I would not wash the roots. I would keep them dirty with any old soil that is still clinging to the roots - as long as it doesn't clog up your new soil.

Top Bottom