How to thicken Larch?

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
I have this Larch Bonsai and I was wondering how I can thicken the trunk further. It is currently just shy of two inches at root level.

Attachments

• larch-2.jpg
    larch-2.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 138

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Any idea how much thickness it will gain in say an years time

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
probably wont see much noticeable trunk thickening for up to three years of unchecked growth in the ground.
if you want a bigger trunk in double quick time, just buy a thicker trunk:)

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It all depends on the weather factor, possition of the tree, fertilising regime.
Noone will give you answer - it wil lticket up 5cm or something, there is no rule for it.
Ground or big pot is your friend here, leve it for a year or 2 and see.
Thats my plan for the next year anyway :) i will also plant them on the tile to get better nebari.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That pot is also rather large.

Getting it in a smaller pot will make the trunk look larger.

Like Bobby says...buy bigger if you want bigger!
You have spent considerable amount of $ on those branches, which will likely be ruined thickening the trunk.
It's going to turn into quite the waste of time.

Sorce

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
That pot is also rather large.

Getting it in a smaller pot will make the trunk look larger.

Like Bobby says...buy bigger if you want bigger!
You have spent considerable amount of $ on those branches, which will likely be ruined thickening the trunk.
It's going to turn into quite the waste of time.

Sorce

Thanks Sorce. That exactly what I have been thinking that the pot is large. I bought it just two months back. I am thinking of growing tiny creepers on the edges to reduce the apparent size of pot. Or may be some rocks could do the trick.

Not keen to disturbing roots until next year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not keen to disturbing roots until next year.

Then don't plant no weeds! Lol!

But seriously!

You reckon the roots will fit in something smaller?
I wouldn't do it for a couple few years.

Sorce

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
So what should I do to reduce the size of pot. Any ideas? Thanks for this.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Another option if you want basal thickening is that you could graft several sacrifice branches down low and at the back. The caveat is that when these are removed you will have a scar, albeit at the rear. Larch tend to callus over well though, or you could stick some bark over it while it heals.

I'd use a separate tree for the donor grafts then you won't have to ruin the current branch structure by growing out whips.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Is bud grafting a possibility on such old woods? Thread grafting means I have to drill hole, that too somewhere near the base. Scary.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is bud grafting a possibility on such old woods?
Thread grafts are pretty simple. I did two on this Larch this growing season. They are well suited to this technique as they callus and thicken really well.

Unfortunately, I've tried to upload a pic of the grafted Larch multiple times but it keeps failing. If you are on Reddit I posted this pic already over there on /r Bonsai as Paulpash.

Last edited:

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
I am not on Reddit now. I will first practice thread grafting on other trees in garden before trying on this tree. I would like to see the pictures though. Wouldn't thread grafting cause reverse taper?

Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thread grafts are pretty simple. I did two on this Larch this growing season. They are well suited to this technique as they callus and thicken really well.

Unfortunately, I've tried to upload a pic of the grafted Larch multiple times but it keeps failing. If you are on Reddit I posted this pic already over there on /r Bonsai as Paulpash.

Buds are rather large, how did you get them thru without drilling a bit too big of a hole? Not a "doubtin' Thomas", but I am curious.
😎

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Buds are rather large, how did you get them thru without drilling a bit too big of a hole? Not a "doubtin' Thomas", but I am curious.
😎
They weren't any bigger than say a maple or any other opposite budded deciduous. Yay, it finally uploaded.

RDT_20191019_1357145721080198481321059.jpg
In the picture, the two closest branches are the grafted ones. At the back you can see how the branches were looped back on themselves. Once all the needles go I'll see if I can get a clearer photo. It doesn't really matter on these grafts as they are lower branches but I always leave a bud or two just outside the exit hole as a backup, thickener or to cut back to if it's destined to be a smaller diameter branch in the top third of the tree.

I've done this on other Larch too and it's been reliable.

Last edited:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should have mentioned I have a Tamarack. Not sure of a difference, I'll have to get a shot when I get home. But I have to say, buds on what I have are huge. If you don't mind a gross description, they look un-circumcised....
:eek:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I should have mentioned I have a Tamarack. Not sure of a difference, I'll have to get a shot when I get home. But I have to say, buds on what I have are huge. If you don't mind a gross description, they look un-circumcised....
:eek:
The buds aren't too big on this Larch - it's from seed so not sure of the exact variety.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Paulpash yea, out towards the end of branches that would theoretically be used for grafting, the buds are much smaller. Should be do-able, if I should attempt.:cool:

DSC00485.JPG

To be honest, I'm just going to stick it in the landscape. Not really of fan of a thin, janky Larch. Bought when I was first starting out and, like a lot of stuff, not good bonsai material.
Suppose I could twist/shape the trunk a bit, but the form doesn't really move the needle for me....

Top Bottom