How to treat bare-root seedlings in early winter

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I received several bare root seedlings (bald cypress, ginkgo, trident) yesterday. I normally order seedlings in late winter or early spring, but last spring almost everything was sold out everywhere. Do you guys pot them up and leave them outside? I was planning on getting a headstart this year with them, and plant them now and place them with my tropicals. They came from MD, so they are totally dormant. I also received my first little itoigawa whip and a small pomegranate, those will be staying with the tropicals.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I received several bare root seedlings (bald cypress, ginkgo, trident) yesterday. I normally order seedlings in late winter or early spring, but last spring almost everything was sold out everywhere. Do you guys pot them up and leave them outside? I was planning on getting a headstart this year with them, and plant them now and place them with my tropicals. They came from MD, so they are totally dormant. I also received my first little itoigawa whip and a small pomegranate, those will be staying with the tropicals.
Where did you get them from, I wouldn’t mind some more trident and bc whips 😁 I just pot them up as usual,i wouldn’t recommend doing any root work though

Last edited:

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If they came from MD, dormant, and you're in Texas, I'd keep them outside.

Question is, will they even stay dormant outside...? Looking at your weather, doesn't look like it!

I'm torn.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If they came from MD, dormant, and you're in Texas, I'd keep them outside.

Question is, will they even stay dormant outside...? Looking at your weather, doesn't look like it!

I'm torn.
He could keep them wrapped up and damp in the vegetable crisper until it does cool down…. Not ideal but it may work

Top Bottom