How to treat root rot

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Had a long cold wet spring. Several junipers are declining and using no water. slowly suffering, I suspect root rot. Any latest treatment for root rot?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Have you checked for red spicer mites as well. We have had a huge infestation of them this year.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The "latest" treatment is ZeroTol. It is little more than hydrogen peroxide, so you don't have to go through the hassle of buying a gallon of it on-line.

Get 3% hydrogen peroxide from your grocery/pharmacy store. Drench with one quarter cup peroxide per quart of water. Also makes a good general purpose fungicide/disinfectant spray at the dilution of 2 tablespoons per quart.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Vance that sounds more like a pest for peppers than junipers.

He means spider mites and they are juniper killers

I suggest you try to nail down what the issue is before you employ the shotgum method and start treating for something it might not be.

Shake the branches over a white piece of paper to check for mites

Examine the roots to see if it's really root rot.

Last edited:

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He means spider mites and they are juniper killers

I suggest you try to nail down what the issue is before you employ the shotgum method and start treating for something it might not be.

Shake the branches over a white piece of paper to check for mites

Examine the roots to see if it's really root rot.

Maybe I should have said a pest of those that view adult entertainment.

It was a joke. He obviously meant spider mites, not spicer mites.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sometimes I fat finger the key board and if the mistake comes up with a comprehensible word the spell checker does not let me know. Such is the case when you can no longer feel your hands.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Have you checked for red spicer mites as well. We have had a huge infestation of them this year.
I just did miticide sprayings 2 weekends in a row. One of the junipers I did a emergency repot on--roots look inactive--no white growing tips

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you suspect root rot and do an emergency repotting, make sure you use an open mix that will allow the roots to breathe without drying out.

Otherwise make sure you don't OVER water after repotting, and make sure you keep your tree out of direct sun until it recovers. Bright light - but no sun.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just did miticide sprayings 2 weekends in a row. One of the junipers I did a emergency repot on--roots look inactive--no white growing tips

Were the roots black, slimy and falling apart?

If yes then root rot
If no then not root rot

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I may be on shaky ground here a bit, evidentiarily, when I say this, but I'll go ahead anyway ... the only roots that rot are dead ones. As others have alluded, look for reasons why the roots died. Overwatering with poor drainage could, I suppose, be one, as could pathogens or pests.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I may be on shaky ground here a bit, evidentiarily, when I say this, but I'll go ahead anyway ... the only roots that rot are dead ones. As others have alluded, look for reasons why the roots died. Overwatering with poor drainage could, I suppose, be one, as could pathogens or pests.

It's a good point, if roots die they then rot (decompose). Finding rotting roots in a pot doesn't necessarily prove the presence of a root rot pathogen.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have used Hydrogen Peroxide. This should help , be careful before watering. One teaspoon per gallon 3% . Hydrogen Peroxide will do all your trees good as it get Oxygen to sick roots.
Be careful to use diluted correctly though.

Top Bottom