How to trim a Japanese larch bonsai.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello guys! I need to trim a Japanese larch that I acquired from Will Hiltz a few months back, the tree is growing well and looking shaggy at the moment. Im wondering if I can cut back the needles/leaves to make it shorter or I have to trim the shoot. I need to make the leaves shorter to clean up the foliage pads. Thanks. Tommy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As with all species, cut the branch, not the leaves. If you cut the needles, they will brown and eventually drop.

Tipping the brush-stage tufs also works

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you! I understand that but the length of the branch is fine, it’s just the leaves are too long so it messing up the “ pads” clean look.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Larch always looks best in early spring, in my opinion.

I thin out the foliage on large, taking out the older needles in summer.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You are absolutely correct, love it when the leaves just breaking bud.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Be careful how much you cut. Larch need the healthy fresh needles to help keep them cool through evapotranspiration. I killed 4 saplings last August by cutting back too much and the ensuring August heat wave knocked them out. I lived in the DC area (Fairfax/Manassas) much of my life and the hot humid summers will not be kind to larch. Down here in the mountains they are growing like crazy but I still am putting off cutting them back until the fall. See Peter Warren’s YoutTube video on larch care.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you, mine is pretty old and have lots of new growth. Seem to be doing ok.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you gently pull all the needles that hang down from the pads, the tree will look much better.

Top Bottom