How to wake up small JM in Winter?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They have naturally dropped their leaves and I would like to make them leaf out asap. I hear maples need 6 weeks of having no leaves, or something like that. If I just take them indoors when December has arrived, and supplement with a growing light, might that wake them up healthily?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If you want it to leaf out in early to mid winter, just leave it in a coolish room. It'll probably start pushing leaves by late December, but the growth will be pale, thin and lanky, and it will struggle. If you want the tree to stay healthy and grow well, keep it dormant as long into next year as possible.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They have naturally dropped their leaves and I would like to make them leaf out asap. I hear maples need 6 weeks of having no leaves, or something like that. If I just take them indoors when December has arrived, and supplement with a growing light, might that wake them up healthily?
Mine are just starting to leaf drop. They will be staying outdoors all winter although I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me nervous when bad weather rolls in.

You mentioned “small” how small are we talking here?

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maples under lights are tricky.......need low power lights like all day.
Seen strange coloring on these........Just plain water on leaves too......they a bit fussy indoors,but doable no theless.
Get humidity between 40-60 and t5’s all the way around and they will be ok.......is it really worth it though without co2 fertilization?
Gain 2 or 3 mnths of rather weak growth really
I would concentrate on seasonal growth.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
...with LOUD, aggressive Sonic the Hedgehog “drowning music”, of course.

(I had a really mean/hilarious roommate at one time)

🤓

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure where you are in Germany. But the 6 weeks does refer to a cold period of 6 weeks, not just without leaves. I am not sure you already have met dormancy requirements by december. I think the temp is somewhere between 0 and 8 C, for roughly 1000 hours.

After that, warm temperatures will start the waking up process But as said by others: Not a great idea as you will wake up the tree in mid-winter, with suboptimal growing conditions.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Be prepared for it to die, unless its very difficult and your horticulture is excellent.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you go to bed at 11:00 and I wake you up at 2:00 are you ready to go to work? This is a bad idea. I'm not saying you're a bad person,

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Theyre callused cuttings, maybe 8cm, rather thinn and I think they might starve or rot or dehydrate if I leave them like this for 4 months or more

johng

Omono
Reaction score
don't try to play God....plants need what they need and no matter how you try to justify what you want, it doesn't change what they need...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Theyre callused cuttings, maybe 8cm, rather thinn and I think they might starve or rot or dehydrate if I leave them like this for 4 months or more

Depending on where you have your trees stored for the winter, you do have to make sure they have water.
I keep some of my trees in the garage, I have to check them once a week to see if they need water and water them if they do.
The trees are dormant, they wont starve.
They shouldnt rot either as long as you give them water when they need it and not have the soil sopping wet all the time

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
don't try to play God....plants need what they need and no matter how you try to justify what you want, it doesn't change what they need...
Why not both? Isn't that a broad definition of being a plant owner? We act as gods, demanding results for the things we give them, forcing them in certain directions and punishing them if they don't behave by cutting off limbs.
If we don't have mercy, they don't survive. We decide if they get offspring or not. We decide if sickness is treated or not.
That's borderline deity behavior.

Every tree wants to grow big and strong. We don't allow it.

I think it's fun to fiddle around and make trees do what I want them to do and find out the boundaries. But agreed, it's not always best for the tree.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Why not both? Isn't that a broad definition of being a plant owner? We act as gods, demanding results for the things we give them, forcing them in certain directions and punishing them if they don't behave by cutting off limbs.
If we don't have mercy, they don't survive. We decide if they get offspring or not. We decide if sickness is treated or not.
That's borderline deity behavior.

Every tree wants to grow big and strong. We don't allow it.

I think it's fun to fiddle around and make trees do what I want them to do and find out the boundaries. But agreed, it's not always best for the tree.
Well, at some level you are probably correct. However, many folks seem to think that just because they can rationalize some justification for not providing basic needs for a plant that it will be just fine....examples include growing outdoor trees indoors, growing a plant outside of its preferred environment, etc... As a bonsai hobbyist, I certainly manipulate growth and growth patterns in many ways but I also pay careful attention to the specific needs of the plants...there is a difference a big difference in my mind.

Top Bottom