How would I anchor a tree in a much bigger pot?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looking only at the bigger pot with the crabapple on the right side of the bench and ignoring the umbrella that got torn to shit by the wind on Monday, I am concerned with that crab in the pot it's in.

I...think... the roots have so crowded the soil that it has slowed drainage to a near stop. This is only THIS season in that pot.

So, I am thinking of moving it during repot to a large terra cotta regular PLANT pot. WAY bigger.
But the tree is well anchored to this pot in the picture. If I try to move it, obviously the bottom of the tree will NOT be at the bottom of a bigger pot.

So.... how can a tree sitting sorta midway in the soil be anchored to the pot?

Thanks...

:)

crab.jpg

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Perhaps you can run some wire through the holes on the bottom of the pot and use them to anchor the roots and/or trunk until the roots grow out. Or stake it?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Perhaps you can run some wire through the holes on the bottom of the pot and use them to anchor the roots and/or trunk until the roots grow out. Or stake it?

Yeah. That is my dilemma. I can't see how to get it FIRMLY anchored when it isn't at the bottom of the pot. Staking? Hmmmm... lemme visualize.

Maybe.
😬

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another thought - you could wrap some wire around the trunk and with wire now on both sides of the trunk wrap the wires around the outsides of the pot and folded over the bottom.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Wire runs over the roots and any soil left (rootball) Pull down so the existing root ball compresses the new soil under it. That is usually enough to secure the tree while new roots get going. Most bonsai are secured this way and they almost always have a layer of new soil under the root ball.
Another less neat option is to run twine or wire vertically around the outside of the pot and round the trunk.
Tying in does not need to make the tree rock solid - just stable enough to reduce movement while the new roots get started.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've done it by putting a #-shaped frame of chopsticks over the rootball and secure the frame with wire through the pot holes.
Doesn't work wonders, but it does the job for about 6 months; enough for more roots to form and from there on forward I can just jam new wires through the soil and pot holes to take over the tying in.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you are using a standard terra cotta pot, you can tie a loop of wire around the pot just below the raised lip. Then tie guy wires up from the loop of wire to the tree.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure I understand the issue, but if you need more holes in the bottom of a terra cotta pot, the big box stores sell ceramic tile bits that drill through tree cotta like butter.

Drill 3 or 4 in the bottom and tie it in just like a bonsai pot.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There seems to be a bit of confusion. How is what you're contemplating different than a regular repotting? I know of VERY few people who advocate putting trees on the bottom of the pot w/ no soil beneath it.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can run a long wire through the drain hole and up along the outside of the pot and then bend the tip over the rim. The other end of the wire, you then wire the tree to hold it in place until the roots fill the pot.

Refer to my pic below of a JBP I potted up in this case a smaller pot.

Screenshot_20211014-082953_Gallery.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Step one.... put the Jameson away.
Step two.... wait until the double vision wears off.
Step three.... get some wire and wire the tree into the pot after filling it with soil to your desired height.

Edit: Step 4.... break out the Jameson.
Step 5.... water the tree.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Get that ceramic drill bit out and make some holes in the upper sides if the pot doesn't have feet for wire clearance. This Dogwood didn't have enough roots to hang on to so the trunk was all I had to grab. It had to be held in four directions to remain vertical. The vinyl tubing was helpful because this was longer than a one year fix. It worked.
cc 091021 wired base.JPG

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you are using a standard terra cotta pot, you can tie a loop of wire around the pot just below the raised lip. Then tie guy wires up from the loop of wire to the tree.
Yes! Of course! Never thought of going higher on the anchoring!
Easy to watch also.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Got another "brain"storm. I have a larger mica conventional rectangle pot that would hold it. Has a broken corner but might be a good choice.
I think I can get it wired gitmo secure in that one. May go that route.

🤔

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What makes this tree a peculiarity when it comes to securing it in the pot? I asked above but still don't get it. This seems to be Standard Operating Procedure. You've got an established rootball. Put soil it. Put the rootball in. Tie it in. Work soil into remaining rootball. Repot again in a few years when soil is permeated with roots.

Top Bottom