How would you repot this?

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Having just received this. IMG_20170419_172120219_HDR[1].jpg I know It shouldn't be repotted till next spring, and it won't be. It is in a 2 gallon nursery pot and probably has been for some time. I'm just trying to get a jump on planning for it.
Also, would this pot work? IMG_20170423_112922220_HDR[1].jpg

Thank you in advance.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's one of @Brent trees. Be really careful with it - I have struggled with cork bark pines; they seem much weaker than the standard JBP. Given the depth of the pot, I'm not sure I would move it into a final bonsai pot in one step. I would probably do an initial repot into something too large - checking the root health and minimizing the depth while working on spreading out the roots that are right now going down in that pot. I am curious to hear what others recommend.

That pot would not be my choice for that tree. Very feminine. You are likely going to end up with a very strong masculine tree with a thick gnarly corky trunk, so you want to go hardcore masculine. A heavy deep rectangle (assuming you plan to keep it short). Something like:

Kokufu912017ii.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'll find some photos of a few corkers I've reduced from deeper pots; including a cutting-grown one from Brent. That pot is fine as a step-down pot, and while you're deciding on a front, but probably is not aesthetically the final pot.

In short, you will find the roots run deep and fairly stout, so they'll need to be reduced a little over time. You'll also find his soil will need to be replaced with something that stays drier. He uses bark and pumice, which is ok when you're in the nursery trade, but it does break down into a fine texture that pine roots don't like. Long-term, you will need something that dries faster and offers you more control over watering.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
That's one of @Brent trees. Be really careful with it - I have struggled with cork bark pines; they seem much weaker than the standard JBP. Given the depth of the pot, I'm not sure I would move it into a final bonsai pot in one step. I would probably do an initial repot into something too large - checking the root health and minimizing the depth while working on spreading out the roots that are right now going down in that pot. I am curious to hear what others recommend.

That pot would not be my choice for that tree. Very feminine. You are likely going to end up with a very strong masculine tree with a thick gnarly corky trunk, so you want to go hardcore masculine. A heavy deep rectangle (assuming you plan to keep it short). Something like:

View attachment 142258

I keep reading that corkers are weak on their own roots. This is my first corker and have only had it a week, but it seems very vigorous to me. It's back budding all over.
As to the pot, I wasn't thinking of this as it's final pot. Just a step in that direction. It's almost 4" deep. That's why I chose it. Thank you for the reply.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I'll find some photos of a few corkers I've reduced from deeper pots; including a cutting-grown one from Brent. That pot is fine as a step-down pot, and while you're deciding on a front, but probably is not aesthetically the final pot.

In short, you will find the roots run deep and fairly stout, so they'll need to be reduced a little over time. You'll also find his soil will need to be replaced with something that stays drier. He uses bark and pumice, which is ok when you're in the nursery trade, but it does break down into a fine texture that pine roots don't like. Long-term, you will need something that dries faster and offers you more control over watering.

Thank you @Brian Van Fleet, I look forward to the pictures. The plan is to move it into Boons mix. I assume I should only half bare root it at first. Should I be looking for a deeper pot to start with? Thank you for your reply.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This was a 2-gallon cutting-grown Hachi Gen from Brent. I think I got it in 2008 or 2009, and repotted it in 2011. Here are some shots of that first repot:
IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0269.JPG
See how the big roots run straight down, under a tangled mess? It's probably all you can hope for when you're dealing with a cutting-grown corkbark black pine, but you need to reduce those big roots a few at a time, and replace the broken down soil directly under the trunk as quickly as you can to prevent rot.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
This was a 2-gallon cutting-grown Hachi Gen from Brent. I think I got it in 2008 or 2009, and repotted it in 2011. Here are some shots of that first repot:
View attachment 142268 View attachment 142264 View attachment 142265 View attachment 142267 View attachment 142266
See how the big roots run straight down, under a tangled mess? It's probably all you can hope for when you're dealing with a cutting-grown corkbark black pine, but you need to reduce those big roots a few at a time, and replace the broken down soil directly under the trunk as quickly as you can to prevent rot.

Thank you for the pictures!
Are you suggesting that I do it now? Looks like you almost bare rooted it. Would moving directly into a 4" deep pot be to severe? I could also cut down the nursery pot to something taller (then the 4" pot) first. Thank you for your reply.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would wait until next year, because it's growing pretty strongly right now. Another year won't hurt at all.
It should work into a 4" deep pot, but it's really hard to tell looking at the photo, and without a look at the roots.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I would wait until next year, because it's growing pretty strongly right now. Another year won't hurt at all.
It should work into a 4" deep pot, but it's really hard to tell looking at the photo, and without a look at the roots.

Thank you Brian!

Top Bottom