How's the quality of tools made by American Bonsai?

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I've tried a ton of bonsai tools and even went as far as laying out a trial so I could write something up. Before it ever launched though, I kept questioning any accuracy due to quality standards of different brands. Can you compare a brand who essentially invented bonsai tools and sometimes hand makes them to a company who makes thousands of sets a week for the lowest cost possible? I think not. If they were all the same price, a trial would be possible. So, a $300 Masakuni tool vs. a $40 Chinese production tool cannot be accurately compared. I'm speaking of the production Chinese tools available on Ebay for example. Even Masakuni tools vary in quality over the years as the steel quality has changed. Are Masakuni tools the best on the market right now? I'd say yes. The owner even offered me a complete custom left-handed set to me for a barrel of Jack Daniels :). Unfortunately, there were some legal hurdles..... Tools like the convex cutter in various sizes are not produced by many brands; so I bought the Masakuni ones. Most of the tools I've used for the last few years have been Kaneshin largely because I bought them in Japan direct.

Last week, I received a full American Bonsai tool set and have started working with them. Given the amount of time they've existed as a tool company, I'm happy with the feel and way they work. The long handled scissors are very good and the repotting tools are solid. Haven't used the heavy stuff yet, but will follow up on this thread once I've had time to use them. Based in part because they are an American owned company working to establish a brand here, I'm optimistic about their future. Based on their prices, I think American Bonsai tools are a good deal. They will also soon come out with smaller tools designed for use with smaller trees.

So, I'd consider the price per tool value. What are the comps? If you can track down a full set of Bunjin Brand Japanese tools (defunct brand), those can be compared with Masakuni IMO. American Bonsai Tools can be compared likewise.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Come on, you cannot compare a defunct brand with what is available today on the open market. Most of us do not have the kind of disposable income to look at tools from a collectors point of view. I have been using bonsai tools for many years, some good some bad etc. I am not even sure which brands I have floating around in my tool box at the moment. But I have used most of them and don't find a really good reason to pay ten times more for a tool because of the manufacturer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been slowly replacing all of my tools with AB the last few years. I love them and people that I know with over 30 years into Bonsai also love them. To me there is a cieling on how good a pair of concave cutters or scissors can be, I don't see how things could be improved much on what AB is doing. Saying that, AB is a younger company so no one can really speak on the longevity of the tools compared to more established brands.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I've been eyeballing them for a minute now but haven't had the opportunity to handle any and that's why I started the thread. They look of good quality in the pics and I like that their stainless too because I don't like having to worry about rust. I keep hearing the manufactured in China thing being thrown around but what I'm wondering is if AB Tool company is actually sourcing the steel from somewhere else and only contracting a Chinese manufacturer to build their tools to specs that are predetermined by AB Tool company which would not be that bad of a thing. Hell, I think I read somewhere that Masakuni tools aren't even made out of Japanese steel but rather the steel being used is some good Swedish stuff. I don't totally agree with the notion that a $50 tool can't be compared to a $300 tool because you have to figure in how much you're actually paying just for a name. Not saying that is the case with this topic but it could be.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've been eyeballing them for a minute now but haven't had the opportunity to handle any and that's why I started the thread. They look of good quality in the pics and I like that their stainless too because I don't like having to worry about rust. I keep hearing the manufactured in China thing being thrown around but what I'm wondering is if AB Tool company is actually sourcing the steel from somewhere else and only contracting a Chinese manufacturer to build their tools to specs that are predetermined by AB Tool company which would not be that bad of a thing. Hell, I think I read somewhere that Masakuni tools aren't even made out of Japanese steel but rather the steel being used is some good Swedish stuff. I don't totally agree with the notion that a $50 tool can't be compared to a $300 tool because you have to figure in how much you're actually paying just for a name. Not saying that is the case with this topic but it could be.
Just to ease your doubts. The quality and workmanship of these tools are first rate and their service is as well. I had a problem with the pair of long handled scissors and the helped me resolve the problem right on the phone. Good guys. Stuff's made in America as well. I want to see the good stuff coming out of this country again.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am a satisfied Kaneshin user. Price vs quality can be hardly beaten. Recently I' ve bought some Ryuga SS tools and I love using them. They are my first option tools, because they are so shiny? I wouldn't say that sth is not good because it's made in China. Half of the world is MICH.

Your ABT brand is sth I can be jealous of. I like it's finish and the logo...
Who can say that Swedish iron is not superior?

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good guys. Stuff's made in America as well. I want to see the good stuff coming out of this country again.

Vance, to be clear, my understanding is that the tools are manufactured in China, but assembled in the U.S. But I can't verify that. If they were 100% made in the U.S.A. I would suspect the cost would rival that of the best Japanese brand. That said, these do not appear to be cheap Chinese made tools, but very nice quality tools and plan to start including them in my tool roll, I also have heard that their service is top notch.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
I am a satisfied Kaneshin user. Price vs quality can be hardly beaten. Recently I' ve bought some Ryuga SS tools and I love using them. They are my first option tools, because they are so shiny? I wouldn't say that sth is not good because it's made in China. Half of the world is MICH.

Your ABT brand is sth I can be jealous of. I like it's finish and the logo...
Who can say that Swedish iron is not superior?

That was kinda my point. The AB stuff might be made in China but it doesn't necessarily mean that the tools are made out of Chinese material. Kinda like Masakuni being made in Japan but not necessarily out of Japanese material.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That was kinda my point. The AB stuff might be made in China but it doesn't necessarily mean that the tools are made out of Chinese material. Kinda like Masakuni being made in Japan but not necessarily out of Japanese material.
It's never a useless investition. Just start with sth you can afford and you will see. I've got some 15 years old cheap chinese stuff, my starter tools I still use for root works...

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Come on, you cannot compare a defunct brand with what is available today on the open market. Most of us do not have the kind of disposable income to look at tools from a collectors point of view. I have been using bonsai tools for many years, some good some bad etc. I am not even sure which brands I have floating around in my tool box at the moment. But I have used most of them and don't find a really good reason to pay ten times more for a tool because of the manufacturer.

@ Vance: To be clear, I never said anyone should buy Masakuni tools. What I said was "they are the best available right now". I support American companies and think American Bonsai Tools are worth buying. I'll be promoting their line of tools once I finish testing them.

It is my sincere hope that more bonsai related goods are produced in America. For now, the infrastructure for tool production is in place in Asia. So, we buy things from there.

The point of my post was to say you cannot compare tools based on cost. I never said, you should sell a kidney and buy only tools from Masakuni. I think Masakuni tools for some applications are way too expensive.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I bought a pair of AB shears. The blade chipped the second time I used it. Not saying that is an example of overall quality for the company. This is the only AB tool I have. If I made the effort, I believe they would probably replace it.

I have never had a quality Japanese-made tool chip. I can't afford the high-end stuff, but the medium grade and even beginners tools from Japan are worth the extra money, IMO. I have had, and still have, various Japanese-made brands I've accumulated over the years. I have heard there are only a handful of Japanese companies making them and the brands are mostly licensing for the same tools.

What I have had over the years is consistent chips, dings, breakage and damage to trees from the more inexpensive (not the real cheap stuff) Chinese tools. I've had a Chinese-made concave cutter split an important branch on a maple because the blades were misaligned. I've had knob cutters mash wood, not cut through it. I've had scissor blade chip and break.

You get what you pay for. Buy quality once, not less expensive four times....

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think there is a lack of information about how to maintain bonsai tools. In order for any tool to remain effective, it needs to be cared for and maintained.

I know that I must clean and oil them and keep them in their tool roll instead of banging around in a tool box, but I have no idea about how to sharpen them.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For OP, I think one of the best sources to know the truth would be to contact Adam Lavigne. He uses AB tools, if sponsored, it's discutable... But FL environment is though for iron made tools.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
my first sheers where a pair o chepo chinese scissors. 4 years down the road and I use them when root pruning, because soil is wet and has rocks in it and that way I keep my good tools sharp.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, to be clear, my understanding is that the tools are manufactured in China, but assembled in the U.S. But I can't verify that. If they were 100% made in the U.S.A. I would suspect the cost would rival that of the best Japanese brand. That said, these do not appear to be cheap Chinese made tools, but very nice quality tools and plan to start including them in my tool roll, I also have heard that their service is top notch.
All I can tell you is what they have told me. They are made in the USA.

CuriousLayman

Sapling
Reaction score
If I made the effort, I believe they would probably replace it.

I'm testing this out. I have a pair of concave cutters. I was working on an azalea yesterday and noticed that any cuts were uneven, leaving a 'tag'. Somehow the jaws are no longer aligned. And it's weird because I don't feel any slop in the joint at all. So I'm not sure how they stopped aligning. I've only used them a few times and I don't recall working on anything really big. It's probably a fluke. I emailed them yesterday and it's supposed to have a 2 year warranty so we'll see.

Attachments

• 20160828_175945.jpg
    20160828_175945.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 72

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Take pictures and then call them. They will offer solutions and according to their guarantee they will replace if they cannot be repaired.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm testing this out. I have a pair of concave cutters. I was working on an azalea yesterday and noticed that any cuts were uneven, leaving a 'tag'. Somehow the jaws are no longer aligned. And it's weird because I don't feel any slop in the joint at all. So I'm not sure how they stopped aligning. I've only used them a few times and I don't recall working on anything really big. It's probably a fluke. I emailed them yesterday and it's supposed to have a 2 year warranty so we'll see.
Precisely why I bought a pair of Masakuni "root cutters". To make clean smooth cuts on azalea!

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

If I'm not mistaken, they are supposed to overlap ever so slightly so they cut clean through like bypass pruners. From the picture they look just like any normal concave cutters should.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I'm not mistaken, they are supposed to overlap ever so slightly so they cut clean through like bypass pruners. From the picture they look just like any normal concave cutters should.
Correct! Which is why, and I know I'm repeating myself, I use a different style of cutter when trying to achieve a smooth, clean, flat cut.

It doesn't matter how good the tool is if you don't know how to use it!

Top Bottom