HPS light for cuttings

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last week I put 15 fresh Shimpy cuttings in the appropriate medium with a humidity dome over them. Because it's so late in the grow season I was wondering if I could use my 100w HPS lamp for the winter and skip the dormancy period. Would it be OK because they're so young or because they have the DNA of a 10yr. old tree they expect to rest this winter?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Koyote, I take my shimp cuttings in late December. They go into the greenhouse and they do there thing. So your probably a little early but you've done the deed so you might as well give it a go.

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Koyote, I take my shimp cuttings in late December. They go into the greenhouse and they do there thing. So your probably a little early but you've done the deed so you it as well give it a go.

Tom, do you do the cuttings in December for a reason?
And would this work in whatever zone a person is in?
Irene

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Juniper cuttings are generally taken during the winter, after the doner tree has had some exposure to frosts. Seems to significantly increase success rate.

Dave

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Irene, what I've read and practiced, is that juniper cuttings (hard and semi-hard) are best taken when its cold. They have gone dormant, They the wake up in side that nice moist warm green house and go to town. This method has worked for me for a lot of years. I'm sure there are as many opinions on this as there are grains of sand on the beach. All I know is that it works for me and I get an extended growing season the first year.

As far as me commenting out of zone...I won't :)...haven't tried it outside of 6 and 7 so I'd be only guessing. Try it this winter for grins and giggles and then you can tell me. If Nigel is around he might comment....swapped with some shimp cuttings for some cork bark elm cutting I had....His stuff was really well done and as healthy and vigorous as I've ever seen...hes in Georgia and out of my zone. Would be a good frame of reference

BTW...aren't you the one that told me you kill junipers;)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Irene, what I've read and practiced, is that juniper cuttings (hard and semi-hard) are best taken when its cold. They have gone dormant, They the wake up in side that nice moist warm green house and go to town. This method has worked for me for a lot of years. I'm sure there are as many opinions on this as there are grains of sand on the beach. All I know is that it works for me and I get an extended growing season the first year.

As far as me commenting out of zone...I won't :)...haven't tried it outside of 6 and 7 so I'd be only guessing. Try it this winter for grins and giggles and then you can tell me. If Nigel is around he might comment....swapped with some shimp cuttings for some cork bark elm cutting I had....His stuff was really well done and as healthy and vigorous as I've ever seen...hes in Georgia and out of my zone. Would be a good frame of reference

BTW...aren't you the one that told me you kill junipers;)

Hush Tom!
only the procumbens nanas
Mom

Top Bottom