Hubble’s cork bark maple

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone.
I have seen some posts on here regarding the Hubble’s cork bark maple, but I still have some questions after reading those other posts.

Do any of you know if the cork bark maple back buds on the nodes with rough bark?

Is there a best time of season to encourage budding?

I am asking as I’ve noticed no new buds from the trim. So I’m hesitant to trim it more. I’ve had this for almost 2 years, let it site for one season, trimmed some branches last fall, and did some root work. I live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle area). Currently she gets full sun as she has for the past 2 years. E4539080-D30B-4D00-9C5C-1AEF35E186E9.jpeg

Attachments

• DD2DDB31-0DE8-4388-A6A9-3F3173AE547A.jpeg
    DD2DDB31-0DE8-4388-A6A9-3F3173AE547A.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 38
  • AB7E582A-077F-4C57-8FB2-70EA459A86B3.jpeg
    AB7E582A-077F-4C57-8FB2-70EA459A86B3.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 38

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've never heard of this cultivar 'Hubble's Cork Bark Maple', do you know the origin of this cultivar. Superficially it is similar to Acer palmatum 'Arakawa' , is it a seedling selection from it? Or a seedling selection from 'Nishiki Gawa' ?

What do you know of this cultivar's history.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Regardless of the variety, pruning just releases the bud (pair) at the node closest to the cut site = they become new shoots. New leaves may emerge from the next lower node.

IMHO, the best way to drive budding back (toward the roots) is in spring = cut back to a visible bud pair, wait and repeat until you've cut as far as you wish OR no more visible bud pairs appear. Then let it grow and occasionally prune as you normally would through the season. You will not have an ugly surprise branch death this way (absent a fungal/bacterial infection).

At any rate, do this next spring and I believe you'll have the answer to your question.

Meanwhile you could try cutting a notch (into the wood) just above a bud site. This stops the auxin flow in the cambium and should release a bud. The notch, if left on the tree will grow over and be unnoticeable after a year or two.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've never heard of this cultivar 'Hubble's Cork Bark Maple', do you know the origin of this cultivar. Superficially it is similar to Acer palmatum 'Arakawa' , is it a seedling selection from it? Or a seedling selection from 'Nishiki Gawa' ?

What do you know of this cultivar's history.
Hey Leo, from what I understand is it was an off chance seedling from the Arakawa Maple. Found in Fort Worth Texas by Scott Hubble. Has the rough bark at an early age. Although not sure at what age.
Anything beyond that, I’m not sure. I found it while looking for Arakawas at a local nursery.

cozmicat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Regardless of the variety, pruning just releases the bud (pair) at the node closest to the cut site = they become new shoots. New leaves may emerge from the next lower node.

IMHO, the best way to drive budding back (toward the roots) is in spring = cut back to a visible bud pair, wait and repeat until you've cut as far as you wish OR no more visible bud pairs appear. Then let it grow and occasionally prune as you normally would through the season. You will not have an ugly surprise branch death this way (absent a fungal/bacterial infection).

At any rate, do this next spring and I believe you'll have the answer to your question.

Meanwhile you could try cutting a notch (into the wood) just above a bud site. This stops the auxin flow in the cambium and should release a bud. The notch, if left on the tree will grow over and be unnoticeable after a year or two.
Thank you for the information and insight!

Top Bottom