Huge a$$ trident

SexyGArdener

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I recently procured this trident among other pre-bonsai materials. I spent half a day potting them up and another whole day cleaning and trimming the trident down. I’m at a point where I think it needs more drastic trimming to built taper at the apex and work primary branches, but I don’t know how to proceed. Any advices are appreciated for this newb. Apparently my video is too large to include in this thread and will be uploaded once I can figure how to reduce its size. 9B4FDC6B-F249-47B0-B313-DFC5CB392BAF.jpegC6C23427-39BD-4C52-A7F2-1068F3F1AED3.jpeg89FEF90C-5713-4A83-91B2-90490062ACB8.jpeg50644BD1-F91B-45E7-976B-DED28A7804D7.jpeg

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like you did pretty good. There’s a lot going on there and it’s hard to give much advice from just pics. Seal those cuts. Did this come from Dave Lapeyrouse?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Years from now, you will not regret creating more taper and movement. I would chop back. We can't see the tree in real life but something like red or blue on one of your trunk lines.
The long trunk lines are not interesting and years later you will wish you created more interest. The large chops will heal in no time, just don't rush it into a bonsai pot.
1645633364330.png

Reaction score
I would keep the multi trunk and maybe trim them back to the next set of branches. Check out andbonsai, they have alot of photo progressions of some of the awesome deciduous chunky material they collect in Europe. This is no different than the material they work with, 10 years and it will look pretty awesome. If you make it single trunk then in 10 years you will still have alot of scars. Fun tree.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yeah, lots of possible solutions for this. If the multiple trunks didn’t seem so similar in size, I’d go multi trunk for sure. Maybe I’d air layer the others off instead of chopping and have 3 trees.

SexyGArdener

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It seems the consensus is to reduce it down to a single trunk and rebuild from scratch. I agree this is the best approach in the long term and the short term goal would be to heal all the massive scars. Perhaps 5 yrs down the line and after 2 repots, I can start working and grafting primary branches. My hesitation in chopping it back to a single trunk are the carving and grafting to make it presentable and elegant. My understanding of tridents were that they're more masculine unlike acer palmatums which are elegant and feminine. It's a shame because single trunk that was not my original intent when selecting this tree. Dave has so many trees (95%) grown with single trunk design in mind and only a handful for multi trunks. I wasn't looking for a trident initially, but this look so gnarly in the field and I figured I would be going against the norm to make this a multi trunk, hence the initial styling. However, as it stands after all cleaned up, it's not really impressive as a multi trunk either. It's a dilemma to know my shortcomings which make it hard to accept that the tree will be mediocre or average in my care.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It seems the consensus is to reduce it down to a single trunk and rebuild from scratch. I agree this is the best approach in the long term and the short term goal would be to heal all the massive scars. Perhaps 5 yrs down the line and after 2 repots, I can start working and grafting primary branches. My hesitation in chopping it back to a single trunk are the carving and grafting to make it presentable and elegant. My understanding of tridents were that they're more masculine unlike acer palmatums which are elegant and feminine. It's a shame because single trunk that was not my original intent when selecting this tree. Dave has so many trees (95%) grown with single trunk design in mind and only a handful for multi trunks. I wasn't looking for a trident initially, but this look so gnarly in the field and I figured I would be going against the norm to make this a multi trunk, hence the initial styling. However, as it stands after all cleaned up, it's not really impressive as a multi trunk either. It's a dilemma to know my shortcomings which make it hard to accept that the tree will be mediocre or average in my care.
Ultimately it’s your tree. Do whatever your heart desires to it…. But…. Think on it for a while before you go chopping. Make sure YOU are going to be happy with the end result. There’s many routes to take with that trident. Take the route that makes you happy.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Man. Just go multi trunk then. Could be fantastic. I just saw a trunk line I liked and imagined that like I said, so many possibilities.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Man. Just go multi trunk then. Could be fantastic. I just saw a trunk line I liked and imagined that like I said, so many possibilities.
I like the multi trunk idea, it creates more interest

Attachments

• D6B4ADDD-5089-43FA-BE39-0ABBF949DC84.jpeg
    D6B4ADDD-5089-43FA-BE39-0ABBF949DC84.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 118

SexyGArdener

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
651CC7BE-D059-40E0-B3CE-64373944081D.jpegA92BD5C9-4AD8-4EAC-861E-B4EE79B5A842.jpegBA654DB0-27C0-486E-BED1-8B98F85FCADE.jpeg After several more heavy branches removal and craving, I’ve settle this to be my front. I’ve left some lower growth near the base as sacrificial and in case I need it for grafting to speed up healing. Is it recommended to start root grafting at this stage too or wait until next spring?

Attachments

• C31280B7-9720-431C-A2E4-053FBF824E8E.jpeg
    C31280B7-9720-431C-A2E4-053FBF824E8E.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 86
  • CA75B5B2-F404-46C5-808B-E7E8B6ABC6AC.jpeg
    CA75B5B2-F404-46C5-808B-E7E8B6ABC6AC.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 76
  • EC3258D6-5DE9-44B9-BE2A-87D95E2BBB58.jpeg
    EC3258D6-5DE9-44B9-BE2A-87D95E2BBB58.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 121

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
View attachment 422001View attachment 422002View attachment 422003 After several more heavy branches removal and craving, I’ve settle this to be my front. I’ve left some lower growth near the base as sacrificial and in case I need it for grafting to speed up healing. Is it recommended to start root grafting at this stage too or wait until next spring?

View attachment 422001View attachment 422002View attachment 422003 After several more heavy branches removal and craving, I’ve settle this to be my front. I’ve left some lower growth near the base as sacrificial and in case I need it for grafting to speed up healing. Is it recommended to start root grafting at this stage too or wait until next spring?
I like it!!! I'll be following

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

SexyGArdener

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
4BEE5D6A-F052-48E0-A331-E68B4183E582.jpeg After I posted the pictures in early spring before leaves push, I went back a few days later and reduce the height of the three main branches drastically so that the overall profile is more stumpy. After the initial foliage push and hardening, I decided to trim back the foliar mass to slow the thickening in certain areas at the expense of roots development. I damaged the apex bud/branch during my relocation so now I got to wait and see if it will redevelop another bud in the ideal location or will I have to do an approach graft which is why I left one runner shoot just in case. I’ve never done an approach graft before, and I rather not test that theory until perhaps next spring. Anyways, while I do prefer the base to be significantly thicker for that sweet taper transition, I don’t think I can wait another decade before transitioning it to a nice pot. I probably will repot it into a decent training pot in the spring for personal enjoyment rather than it being on my concrete pavement. I’m never going to showcase or compete these trees. I’m content with my trees being average or slightly above average while enjoying the journey. See you in the winter for the strip down and structure pruning.

Top Bottom