Huge camellia available

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a chance to collect a huge camellia from an old home site.......approx. 4" in diameter and 10 feet tall with orange-ish red blooms. The base is fairly boring and there are really no branches down low enough to be of use. I'm leaning towards air layering instead of digging it up. There are some branches almost wrist size that look promising. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. There's no hurry to collect or airlayer.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If I were you I would dig it up early in the spring. I've had good luck of transplanting them right after the winter bloom. From my experience unless the site is from family or close friends, It is best to collect as soon as you can.

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since there is no hurry, as the flowers fade in spring 2019, chop it down to 10" to 12" tall. It will resprout and have a bushy canopy by mid-summer (you'll be able to pick what shoot become the next trunk section in future seasons). Then dig it up spring 2020, pot it and leave it to grow roots for the rest of that year. Fall 2020 pick out your new leader and low branches - use a little wire.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My only problem with digging it up is waiting for branches to catch up to the trunk size. Waiting for branches to catch up to an 1 and 1/2" trunk is way different than waiting for them to catch up to a 4" trunk. I'm pretty patient, but DANG that's going to take a few years. LOL!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My only problem with digging it up is waiting for branches to catch up to the trunk size. Waiting for branches to catch up to an 1 and 1/2" trunk is way different than waiting for them to catch up to a 4" trunk. I'm pretty patient, but DANG that's going to take a few years. LOL!
Yes, as in a dozen or so, in my experience. I love camellias, both in the landscape and as Bonsai, but I have not had great luck with the 3 I have owned...and eventually killed...

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think my best bet is to air layer a couple of branches in the 1" to 2" range. That will give me a decent sized bonsai much sooner. Leaving the mother plant behind may give someone else down the road some pleasure.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think my best bet is to air layer a couple of branches in the 1" to 2" range. That will give me a decent sized bonsai much sooner. Leaving the mother plant behind may give someone else down the road some pleasure.
Well get your air layers then I'll come and dig it up :)

Top Bottom