Huge Collected Thuja occidentalis

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This big boy was collected in April. All the pictures except the last are from April hence the drab foliage (last pic is today). Can't really get better pics as it is still tucked away in a corner under shade cloth, and I can't even come close to moving the thing by myself.

Definitely a cool tree, and definitely has its share of design challenges like all yamadori. More pics coming on the blog tomorrow.

bj2H8FD.jpg

8KtoV3S.jpg

igS1UJO.jpg

ur9xvco.jpg

8QlcsWT.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
WOW!!! That is one of the coolest collected trunks I think I've ever seen...at least in North America. I hope it does well for you. By the way, just how big is this guy?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Incredible! Simply awesome trunk, Wow is right! You've got some fantastic material up there in Toronto amkhalid! Good luck with this great tree.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks Dav4... its a cool trunk but certainly not close to one of the best in NA. That is way too generous a comment. Randy Knight and other west coast collectors have collected many, many junipers way better than this. Might be more fair to compare it to Thujas since they are kind of their own animal. Even then, there are many better ones. My friend has now what I am 95% certain is the best Thuja ever collected. I've never seen a better one living or dead in captivity or the wild, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt with that 5%,

As for actual size... its big but not ridiculous big. To give you an idea the box is 2' x 3', with the last pic showing the 2' face. The boards are 6" wide cedar. When it is in the final pot it should be pushing the boundaries of a one-person tree.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I will be following this one for years to come. Material of this caliber is rare. The first styling should be fun.

Rob

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just when I get satisfied with my collection, I see something like this and I have to find a weekend to go scouring my known and some new rumored locations!! It's fun to find a winner! Congrats.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Dav4... its a cool trunk but certainly not close to one of the best in NA. That is way too generous a comment. Randy Knight and other west coast collectors have collected many, many junipers way better than this. Might be more fair to compare it to Thujas since they are kind of their own animal. Even then, there are many better ones. My friend has now what I am 95% certain is the best Thuja ever collected. I've never seen a better one living or dead in captivity or the wild, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt with that 5%,

As for actual size... its big but not ridiculous big. To give you an idea the box is 2' x 3', with the last pic showing the 2' face. The boards are 6" wide cedar. When it is in the final pot it should be pushing the boundaries of a one-person tree.

I guess by coolest, I meant unique. It's got such a broad spread at the soil line, followed by that tight curve, great taper, too. The trunk reminds me of some of those collected Mugos you see in the magazines. It may not be as impressive as some of those junipers out west, but certainly holds its own. By the way, your friend needs to email you some pictures of that other thuja;).

Dave

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow, awesome material! What is it planted in? Is this what you usually plant your collected material in

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great score! That trunk speaks volumes of harsh conditions. I look forward to what story your styling adds to the composition. May I ask: Is that pure perlite it's in? Is that your preference in newly collected material?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great score! That trunk speaks volumes of harsh conditions. I look forward to what story your styling adds to the composition. May I ask: Is that pure perlite it's in? Is that your preference in newly collected material?

Ha I had basically the same question, just got an email update from his blog stating pure screened perlite.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very cool tree. Of caliber that most of us might never own...might be good too since not everyone can bring the most out of it with all the challenges it offers. I personally don't know where to begin! :eek:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Ha I had basically the same question, just got an email update from his blog stating pure screened perlite.

Yes, I started using perlite for collected trees after I read some stories from Italy showing some INCREDIBLE results with perlite.

It is very cheap, holds just the right amount of moisture, and best of all is very light weight. Roots grow like crazy in it. Unfortunately it is really ugly. Be sure to screen it well and wear a good dust mask.

HumbleTrees

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yes, I started using perlite for collected trees after I read some stories from Italy showing some INCREDIBLE results with perlite.

It is very cheap, holds just the right amount of moisture, and best of all is very light weight. Roots grow like crazy in it. Unfortunately it is really ugly. Be sure to screen it well and wear a good dust mask.

How long do you keep them in the perlite? I would think perlite would start to break down quickly about second winter.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
How long do you keep them in the perlite? I would think perlite would start to break down quickly about second winter.

You might be right about that. I've had trees in perlite for two years (2nd winter coming up) and it seems mostly intact so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to break down soon though.

Fortunately 95% of the trees I collect are Thuja and Larix, and they rarely need more than two years in the box following collection. They are both prolific root growers. For pines or junipers, where longer periods are needed to re-establish root strength, the longevity of perlite might be an issue. I will keep an eye on it.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree!
I tried some perlite this year. One small rmj collected this spring and planted in perlite with a bit of bark and forest floor humus mixed in is doing just fine. I also successfully rooted some maple and crabapple cuttings in the same mix, no rooting hormone or anything just poked into pots and watered and fed with everything else, no extra misting or cover either.

Mp

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
This big boy was collected in April. All the pictures except the last are from April hence the drab foliage (last pic is today). Can't really get better pics as it is still tucked away in a corner under shade cloth, and I can't even come close to moving the thing by myself.

Definitely a cool tree, and definitely has its share of design challenges like all yamadori. More pics coming on the blog tomorrow.

bj2H8FD.jpg

8KtoV3S.jpg

igS1UJO.jpg

ur9xvco.jpg

8QlcsWT.jpg

Amazing tree! Where is the tree today?

Top Bottom