HUGE Ficus microcarpa

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi everyone,

I received this Ficus microcarpa from a friend for a cool $120. It stands two feet high, has a canopy of two feet, and has a base of 8 inches. I plan on a repot tomorrow to get it into some cleaner soil. Comments welcome.

002-66.jpg

003-67.jpg

004-67.jpg

006-60.jpg

007-55.jpg

008-52.jpg

009-53.jpg

010-44.jpg

011-44.jpg

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice one. Much huger than your last Huge microcarpa. Definitely ready for a repot. The bottom half looks great, and the top half can probably go once the tree's settled and healthy.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This have good potential. Can't wait to see it properly potted and cleaned up.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I didn't mean to suggest that he should hack it down to a shohin. I was just trying to say that the base is great, and he can worry about building the top half next. If some branches work, all the better. If none seem to fit, he could grow a whole new crown easily enough.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks everyone!

I plan on bare rooting it here shortly. The previous owner said he hasn't repotted it in years. The soil is also full of all sorts of nasty critters and debris. Will repot into a big ol' bulb pan.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I repotted this guy. Couldn't find a bulb pan big enough but I did cut down a large nursery pot. I couldn't fully bare root him, as there was just so much of a mess in there. Clovers, dead leaves, and even bolts, all in the rootball. I did my best, placed him in the pot, and will work on his new home. Comments welcome:

002-67.jpg

003-68.jpg

004-68.jpg

006-61.jpg

007-56.jpg

010-45.jpg

011-45.jpg

012-42.jpg

013-41.jpg

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice addition to the collection! Can't wait to see what you do with it in the future. Good luck!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice addition to the collection! Can't wait to see what you do with it in the future. Good luck!

Thanks, should be fun to play with!

As soon as I finish this box, this guy will be headed into it:
014.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I just finished up this virt. It gives the tree great taper:
fv.JPG

Someone on another forum made this virt:
fv.JPG

It's close. Comments, anyone??

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don't be afraid of root work on these, they are built by timex, you probably could have gotten away with a sawzall just below the old soil level, these take a beating when it come to roots regrowing.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Might be a little late on this but that box looks awfully deep

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about having such a pointy top. The canopy also wouldn't look bad if it was wider. Don't be afraid to make a big tree. There's my 3 cents.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Don't be afraid of root work on these, they are built by timex, you probably could have gotten away with a sawzall just below the old soil level, these take a beating when it come to roots regrowing.

Oh I know Bill, I just want to take this guy slow and steady. Hopefully I'll win the race that way.

Might be a little late on this but that box looks awfully deep

What box are you referring to?? The pot I planted it in is fine.

I wouldn't worry about having such a pointy top. The canopy also wouldn't look bad if it was wider. Don't be afraid to make a big tree. There's my 3 cents.

Yeah that wasn't an official virt. I don't plan on having a top like that, more like this:
lv.jpg

Nice tree! That thing's got a massive base. Looking forward to its progression. =)

Thanks Alex, I love the base :D

Top Bottom