Huge Jade Tree into a Bonsai - Help with cuts

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
A coworker of mine has had a Jade Plant (Crasula Ovata) growing for just over 20 years on her porch. Recently she decided it's too big and she wants to get rid of it, so I agreed to take it for free. It was extremely difficult to get home, but huge Crasula's like this are usually quite expensive with such a thick trunk. I broke a few branches getting it home, but i'm saving those cuttings for new plants in the future.

I have the goal of creating an impressive bonsai tree out of this. It will be my first Bonsai. I've grown other Jade plants in the past but never this large.
Based on the pictures, where do you suggest I cut the tree? Obviously it's overgrown right now. It's over 6 feet tall (2 meters) as it stands. The trunk is very thick at the base, and probably even thicker under some dirt.

1) Where would you cut the tree? I'd hate to cut so much that I kill the stump, but I've heard it's ok with these plants. Thoughts?
2) Is there any prep I should do for the plant before the big cuts? Water it, maybe?
3) What should I do after making the big cuts? Should I move it indoors so the cut areas can dry out completely, or keep it outdoors to get some sunlight? The next several days are going to be 60 degrees F and mostly sunny.

What's the ideal soil composition for this plant to get lots of drainage? I live in Daly City, CA where I get a good amount of sunlight and it never gets under 45-50 degrees at night, but it gets foggy/damp for multiple days in a row at times so I'd like to be sure I'm getting adequate drainage.

Here are some pictures of the plant:
IMG-0987.JPG

IMG-0989.JPG

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yours is not a particularly large Crassula, and it’s my opinion that you really do need a big-ass one to even remotely approach something quasi-bonsai (especially with the regular leaf version). The attached photo is the largest one I have worked with, and I am still hesitant to fully embrace the label of bonsai for it . . .

AD1F040D-06E1-4A12-A712-47EB3F610BF7.jpeg

That said - from a design standpoint, if you choose to work with this material, all of the larger trunks should probably be chopped way back below where there is currently any foliage.

I sold the tree in the photo to a client and then repotted it for him - if I’m recalling correctly, we used a mix of about 50% pumice, 25# scoria, and 25% akadama . . .

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree with @ColinFraser cut low, well draining soil. Lots of fertilizer all summer. After you make the cuts don’t use any sealants just let it dry out. You may get some dieback but in full sun it will grow back quick. And all those thick cuttings should root fairly easily. I wouldn’t do too much root work and I would reuse that pot or something similar in size, don’t rush it into a smaller bonsai pot.

Nice project tho some good free material you got. Good luck!

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree with @ColinFraser cut low, well draining soil. Lots of fertilizer all summer. After you make the cuts don’t use any sealants just let it dry out. You may get some dieback but in full sun it will grow back quick. And all those thick cuttings should root fairly easily. I wouldn’t do too much root work and I would reuse that pot or something similar in size, don’t rush it into a smaller bonsai pot.

Nice project tho some good free material you got. Good luck!

Thanks guys for the feedback! I'll do some cutting this weekend.
If there's going to be rain this weekend after I make the cuts, should I bring everything indoors so that it dries out, or is this not really an issue?

How long do the cuttings usually take to grow some roots so they can be planted again? Do I need to keep the cuttings in a light area, or will a dark garage be ok for the cuttings while they dry/root?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Some people let the cuttings dry out for a bit, but I've never had a problem sticking them immediately into soil. They root fine.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you look at the stems, you see lines on them. Those are the places where leaves were attached. This is also the point it will dry back to once cut. If you cut between two lines, and not across you should get fairly reliable die-back patterns then.

I always let these dry out for a few days to a week before planting. This is to avoid the trunk to start rotting before it roots.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Well, I did it. I made some massive cuts to the tree. The wood is far softer than I expected. I was able to use a clean razor blade and cut through it easily.

The tree is much more manageable for sure. It's not top heavy anymore so I'm not afraid it will uproot itself or fall over. I left all of the roots intact. I did remove it from the pot for 15 minutes while I put a better substrate/soil (better drainage) in it. I did end up leaving a few leaves on top, thinking it would increase the chances of survival (some photosynthesis still?) but not sure if that's correct or not. If it starts to prosper and is clear that it will survive I'll probably cut it down quite a bit further. I did save all of the cuttings which I'll let root and then plant for more trees. For reference, the top of the tree is still about 5' off the ground.

A few questions:

1) Is there anything else I should do now, knowing that the end goal is bonsai?
2) Will the tree survive?
3) By doing this massive cut, have I put a stop to any future trunk thickness/growth?
4) What type/style of bonsai would this work for?

IMG-1020.JPG

IMG-1021.JPG
IMG-1022.JPG

Thank you!

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Why did you leave the main trunk so tall?
I posted above that I left that one tall so that there would be some leaves on it still. I thought this might increase chance of survival by still getting some energy from the sun, but I might be off base. Would it be better to just cut that guy down too, at this point? How low should I go?

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I think you should prune it to where Colin showed you.
You want the energy in the tree to be used in shooting new growth everywhere.
That makes sense about the energy being used to shoot new growth everywhere. I think tonight I'll cut it back further, per Colin's markups.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That makes sense about the energy being used to shoot new growth everywhere. I think tonight I'll cut it back further, per Colin's markups.
keep the rest as cuttings for yourself, trading or gifts
As for creating a bonsai.. I do not believe in this species as bonsai.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
keep the rest as cuttings for yourself, trading or gifts
As for creating a bonsai.. I do not believe in this species as bonsai.
What does it mean that you don't believe in this species as a bonsai? Are you saying it shouldn't be done? There are lots of good examples online of people using this species as bonsai.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What does it mean that you don't believe in this species as a bonsai? Are you saying it shouldn't be done? There are lots of good examples online of people using this species as bonsai.
It’s a succulent, not a tree. But who cares, lots of people like them and train them to look like trees. I do, doesn’t bother me if they aren't a true bonsai. If you like it train it into something beautiful.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
OK, everything has been cut back. Pictures below.
Now I guess I just need to wait for leaves/branches to start popping up.
Based on its current shape, which side would you suggest becomes the front? What style bonsai would best suit this plant?
Thanks!
IMG-1038.JPG
IMG-1039.JPG

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not style like the one pictured(post#2)above:confused:?

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Welcome to this great bonsai site! If you add your location to your avatar, we can offer better advice.

If it were my jade, I'd wait to see where the buds pop before I worried about the front. I hope you enjoy this tree!

Thank you! I'm super excited to get into this new hobby.

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Why not style like the one pictured(post#2)above:confused:?
The person who posted that picture in post #2 also gave me advice on where to cut. I'm not sure on styling yet since that picture is of a different plant, and I'm assuming the styling is at least partially determined by the trunk shape, branch growth etc. Is that not the case?

Top Bottom