Huge oak niwaki

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
We've been here over 4 years and the 54" diameter live oak in the front yard had been encroaching on the house more and more every year. My wife jokingly said we should "bonsai it". I talked to my tree man and he agreed that it needed to be cut back drastically........partly because it was growing ever closer to the roof and also to decrease breakage in the inevitable hurricanes we have every few years. Well, we did it. It's one thing to commit to a drastic cutback on a bonsai, but quite a different thing to do the same to a 100 year+ live oak prominent in your front yard. Well, after somewhat successfully conveying to the tree man what I wanted, he mostly made the kind of cuts I wanted. He just couldn't comprehend some of the smoothing cuts. I've had him do work for me before and he's good albeit a little antsy. Kind of a bull in a china shop. After a few futile attempts to clarify, I just came to terms with what I got. Not perfect, but much better than before. To give you an idea of scale, so of those cut ends are 8" to10" in diameter.

unnamed (38).jpg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We've been here over 4 years and the 54" diameter live oak in the front yard had been encroaching on the house more and more every year. My wife jokingly said we should "bonsai it". I talked to my tree man and he agreed that it needed to be cut back drastically........partly because it was growing ever closer to the roof and also to decrease breakage in the inevitable hurricanes we have every few years. Well, we did it. It's one thing to commit to a drastic cutback on a bonsai, but quite a different thing to do the same to a 100 year+ live oak prominent in your front yard. Well, after somewhat successfully conveying to the tree man what I wanted, he mostly made the kind of cuts I wanted. He just couldn't comprehend some of the smoothing cuts. I've had him do work for me before and he's good albeit a little antsy. Kind of a bull in a china shop. After a few futile attempts to clarify, I just came to terms with what I got. Not perfect, but much better than before. To give you an idea of scale, so of those cut ends are 8" to10" in diameter.

View attachment 465131
Coo! Will have to post updates!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LOL. more like a huge oak... it looks great as is, I would had cut more, just to make it easier to deal with once the new secondary branches start to grow. There are 1000's of bonsai looking live oaks close to my house, I think the mayor benefit in making them look like bonsai here is the hard rock soil preventing the roots to dig deep.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
LOL. more like a huge oak... it looks great as is, I would had cut more, just to make it easier to deal with once the new secondary branches start to grow. There are 1000's of bonsai looking live oaks close to my house, I think the mayor benefit in making them look like bonsai here is the hard rock soil preventing the roots to dig deep.
Being my only big tree, I wanted to go conservative. The tree guy told me we'll never have to fool with this tree again in our lifetimes. Fair enough.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t think they make wire thick enough. Do you plan to use guy wires (i.e. ropes and stakes)? Or do you plan to ramify and improve branch taper by the clip and grow method (i.e. chainsaw and grow)?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Being my only big tree, I wanted to go conservative.
Live oaks are pruned very hard here, especially around roads, they explode with growth from everywhere, old wood, trunk, bark, suckers. You definitely will be busy managing it.

Edit to add some pics

Live Oak in San Antonio, estimated at close to 1000 years old
1670428843331.png

Old Oak in Cedar Park
1670428959074.png

Decorated for Christmas 2015
1670429017684.png

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Being my only big tree, I wanted to go conservative. The tree guy told me we'll never have to fool with this tree again in our lifetimes. Fair enough.
That's my thought after seeing the trim work done for the tree. Should be good for a long while. Beautiful tree. I zoomed in and couldn't see any structural issue.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don’t think they make wire thick enough. Do you plan to use guy wires (i.e. ropes and stakes)? Or do you plan to ramify and improve branch taper by the clip and grow method (i.e. chainsaw and grow)?
Realistically, if I owned a bucket truck and a chain saw, I'd try improving the shape and ramification. I don't so the tree is on its own. It's several hundred dollars every time an arborist touches the tree from now on. An arborist that understands bonsai might be double that..............IF you could find one. This "styling" set me back almost $6,000, so I'm good for a long while.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's my thought after seeing the trim work done for the tree. Should be good for a long while. Beautiful tree. I zoomed in and couldn't see any structural issue.
CR, I was concerned about that big crotch that originates at the base. That's a classic case for rot and failure. My tree guy and I examined the area and we both felt there was no concern there. The long branch on the end of that crotch section had two or three tons of wood removed. That should take a lot of stress off of the crotch.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This "styling" set me back almost $6,000, so I'm good for a long while.

Forget practicing law. I need to get into the tree removal business.

Jokes aside, my uncle’s brother has made good money as an entrepreneur in the field. Of course, that’s after shouldering the risk and hard work of starting a new business.

Dealing with massive, heavy things always involves a lot of risk, so it’s a good idea to hire an expert with a bucket truck, proper safety equipment, and good insurance.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This "styling" set me back almost $6,000, so I'm good for a long while.
I can see what they used to get the job done... "IF" you were confident in doing the job yourself, Home Depot has a towable articulated boom lift that rents for $439 a day. If I was doing this to any of my trees I would definitely go that route. I have used this lifts quite a few times when I worked in construction and they are very easy to maneuver.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
CR, I was concerned about that big crotch that originates at the base. That's a classic case for rot and failure. My tree guy and I examined the area and we both felt there was no concern there. The long branch on the end of that crotch section had two or three tons of wood removed. That should take a lot of stress off of the crotch.
That was where I zoomed in!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Forget practicing law. I need to get into the tree removal business.

Jokes aside, my uncle’s brother has made good money as an entrepreneur in the field. Of course, that’s after shouldering the risk and hard work of starting a new business.

Dealing with massive, heavy things always involves a lot of risk, so it’s a good idea to hire an expert with a bucket truck, proper safety equipment, and good insurance.
Sounds like a lot but consider this. 3 different top of the line chain saws, one boom truck, one skid steer, two 20' + or- trailers, two pickup trucks, one man on the saw and three helpers on the ground. All debris hauled away. Check under the tree. That's all they left behind of several tons of debris. The owner (running the saw) is a BEAST. 95% of those cuts (6' to 10") were made with a small trimming saw (not cheap- just small) with one hand on the saw and one arm wrapped around the cut off log. It was expensive, but a great value.

Top Bottom