Huge old clump style Azalea dug up

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi guys. I just wanted to share some photos of a landscape Azalea I dug up about 2 weeks ago. Amazing super tiny leaves. Really tough getting it out of the ground and cut a ton of roots off just to make it manageable to move around. Might have left the branches too long but I did seal the cuts. I've had success digging these in the past so hopefully it makes it. It's currently hanging out in a very shady location under a tree while it recovers.

I kind of envision a clump style tree where each of the canopies are developed separately at varying heights and positions.

Any feedback is great! I'll post a finished potted picture soon. Forgot to take one.

Attachments

• 20200327_174901.jpg
    20200327_174901.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200327_170743.jpg
    20200327_170743.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200327_170426.jpg
    20200327_170426.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200327_170447.jpg
    20200327_170447.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 116

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice one.

I think you have left the mains too long indeed. It being an azalea it will budd all over the trunk so no problem cutting lower later, I suppose.

To me the last view (Closeup with the cutters in view) is the future front. The amount I would reduce it :eek: (As the rest of the branch has no taper, better cut short and create taper / movement with new branches)
azalea.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Don't worry about long branches now. Let it grow and establish new roots. Sometimes one year is enough, sometimes takes a couple of years.
As for design i also like the pic Leatherback has chosen for the way the main trunks match. Multi trunk trees it is vital that there is some complimentary shapes to make the whole thing look good.
When it is time I would remove way more of the structure to simplify the bones. There are way too many heavy branches in there to look good. I've looked for similar lines to find a theme in the trunks. Remove almost everything else because you really want branches that are smaller than the trunks so need to start over. Taking a lot of the heavier bits off will leave room for the new branches.
The design just shows the main trunks. Grow new branches wherever you like from all the new shoots that will come when it is eventually pruned.
Inkedazalea 1_LI.jpg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These are fun. With that root ball this thing will explode with new growth.
Yes, it is hard to fine the tree for the forest in these. Maybe consider breaking off that one trunk that is further away from the other two?
I have a few that I can't quite picture as an accepted bonsai style. Maybe Eccentric, like some Nick Lenz trees?
CW

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm open to any new styling ideas for when this tree is healthy enough for an initial style. Anyone know roughly how long after collection I should keep it in the shade?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like it.

This is complicated and very interesting material and could really become something really cool if handled right

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Azalea don't seem to mind shade so it could probably stay in reasonable shade all the time. Exactly how shady is 'very shady'? Under most trees there will be some sun through the day and that's about right. Really dark hidden under overhanging branches down to the ground would probably be too much shade even now.
A number of the azaleas I have collected took a year or more for roots to extend into the new mix. Probably better to err on the side of caution and leave it shady for longer.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it safe for me to reduce the branches further right now? Just collected it 2 weeks ago.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm open to any new styling ideas for when this tree is healthy enough for an initial style. Anyone know roughly how long after collection I should keep it in the shade?

Until you start to see some decent growth on it

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chopped it back further today. Sealed all the cuts. I'm not super thrilled that it looks fairly flat on top but once branches start growing back in, I can create areas with different heights.

First photo is roughly a potential front so I angled my cuts to hide them from that view. Afterwards I spun it around and also really like the view from the "back".

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200412_155752.jpg
    20200412_155752.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200412_155836.jpg
    20200412_155836.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 57

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice, it is down to a much more manageable size.

One tip, the smaller diameter trunks should be shorter than the larger diameter trunks. Though you are near the limit to how much I would cut back.

While I always pick a front, every time I work on a tree I have a front in mind, I never get too attached to a particular front, as the front and back frequently change places. The front of a tree is usually the "most interesting", but often the same features that make the front interesting often make the back side interesting. Some trees look good from 360 degrees. That is actually the ideal situation, where you can view the tree from all sides.

Top Bottom