Humble little Nana

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really though. I feel like Procumbens Nana is that ubiquitous species in bonsai that is always just there. I imagine a lot of practitioners have them but don’t always put them up as a top tree. I’m probably generalizing. Though I do feel this little nana of mine is a quiet staple of my collection. Never takes the show, but not a bottom feeder. Just there. I decided to do a complete wire out of this tree to get a solid establishment of branch structure. Solid Jin and Shari line. Great movement. Overall the main leader just needs time to thicken up a bit to be in better proportion to the lower trunk. The pads need to fill in and may need tweaking a bit to skew a bit more of the trunk line.

I bought this tree on clearance 2 years ago for $10. Planted it on an angle and left it at my dads house. Well half of it died last year so I repotted it and trimmed out the bad, leaving some for the Jin and gave a very basic wire to the good, while establishing the basic trunk line. This is one of those I should have photographed more, but again it’s always been just there.

last year
08F9A39D-A5BB-4121-852A-73CEDB345B6D.jpeg
today
22200D3F-B3DE-48A6-B73E-AF525CD789A9.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the cascade too, the other is like maybe a cascade but with no purpose.

I think it will feel better in a pot the size of the bottom half of this one. And unglazed!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would actually consider taking most or even all of the current apex off. As it currently is it does not know if it is cascade or upright.
i am also not sure about the rear branch going to the right either. I assume it has been put there for 'balance' but cascade is not about balance of foliage. Cascade is about dynamic movement, usually all in one general direction while this one has 3 directions to look at and consider.
Just my 2c........

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would actually consider taking most or even all of the current apex off. As it currently is it does not know if it is cascade or upright.
i am also not sure about the rear branch going to the right either. I assume it has been put there for 'balance' but cascade is not about balance of foliage. Cascade is about dynamic movement, usually all in one general direction while this one has 3 directions to look at and consider.
Just my 2c........
Thanks for the 2c. I appreciate the honesty!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Danny I have a bunch myself with a few having really thick trunks. They grow fast when the get established which is a plus. This is what I came up with, removing one pad up from your original cut line.
View attachment 383602
Yup! I think the bottom right pad needs to go as well but I’ll leave it for now. I literally just walked back inside from chopping that cascade off. Much better I think. Onward.

now it just needs a much shallower unglazed round. And time of course.
C380B006-1AC6-4ACD-AB1C-E28EC062516A.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yup! I think the bottom right pad needs to go as well but I’ll leave it for now. I literally just walked back inside from chopping that cascade off. Much better I think. Onward.

now it just needs a much shallower unglazed round. And time of course.
View attachment 383614
LOL, I thought you photoshopped the pic........until I read you actually did the cut!

How big is the tree? Hard to judge with nothing along side it.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really really like the color of this species when they are healthy and well cared for. And the foliage works well for bonsai, but the trunks seem to take a lifetime to thicken. If I had a grow out field it would be filled with nana and blue star for future projects. But as it stands I don't want all those nursery cans sitting around my yard for 10 years. I see this species sell for surprisingly high amounts on the facebook auction, so the demand for good looking procumbens is there I guess. I like yours, I want one someday

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Definitely better as an informal upright.

I know a lot of people hate on procumbens, but I like them. They have the potential to become really nice trees in a short period of time. I took this one from a $7.99 piece of nursery stock to a presentable shohin in just over a year.

65C4CABC-7881-4D67-8937-C11CF338D891.jpeg
F1FE5753-0123-4138-921A-DA0DA3D8613D.jpeg

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely better as an informal upright.

I know a lot of people hate on procumbens, but I like them. They have the potential to become really nice trees in a short period of time. I took this one from a $7.99 piece of nursery stock to a presentable shohin in just over a year.

View attachment 383668
View attachment 383669
damn, i didnt see that after pic coming

Top Bottom