Humic acid fertilizers

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Does anyone have a good source for fertilizers containing humic acid. I have tried at several stores (Lowes, Home Depot) but no one seems to know what this is.

Thanks

Dave V.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The product Al uses is Power Grow by Kellogs. I just bought some after a search of mountain area garden businesses. The Kellogs company sells only by the case so a business has to buy a big batch.

The Grow Power Tabs are about 1/2 the size of fertilizer cakes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you use ebay go there and you'll find sources. I just bought a humic acid blend and had it in my mailbox two days later.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Al is the expert so follow whatever advice he offers. It is not surprising that not many have heard of it. I have some research that I will throw together as soon as I finish my work for school. There is quite an impressive body of knowledge and research that has been done with this stuff and you won't believe all that it does.

I use the following products:
Got this one at the local nursery:
http://gropower.com/product_pages/gp_liquid.htm

I picked up these at the hydroponic store:

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder what is the point to buy special fertilizers to have humic acid when you can just get it by incorporating some composted pine bark or peat in you mix.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Al is the expert so follow whatever advice he offers. It is not surprising that not many have heard of it. I have some research that I will throw together as soon as I finish my work for school. There is quite an impressive body of knowledge and research that has been done with this stuff and you won't believe all that it does.

I use the following products:
Got this one at the local nursery:
http://gropower.com/product_pages/gp_liquid.htm

I picked up these at the hydroponic store:

Ok. I use something similar to Boon's fertilizer cakes (fish emulsion, bone meal, cottonseed meal). Does this have humic acid, or is this something I should be adding in? I also use liquid seaweed every other week. Obviously I have no clue about this stuff, and I want to learn as much as possible...

Daniel

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Humic acid is lacking in most of our soils because we have gone completely inorganic for the added drainage and sometimes longer repotting periods.

Chris

Chris, do you use humic acid as part of your fertilizing program ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have some research that I will throw together as soon as I finish my work for school. There is quite an impressive body of knowledge and research that has been done with this stuff and you won't believe all that it does.

I, for one, look forward to what information you have. As well as other Bonsai peoples comments about using it.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I keep hoping Al will chime in because he is the one who, as far as I know made this stuff common knowledge for bonsai use. He has a few years experience with using it and knows the reasons for using it and results you can expect better than anyone I know of. Unfortunately, the threads are over at BT somewhere (sorry did not mean to bring that up again).

I only have a few months experience with it so I don't feel real comfortable making any personal claims. I have done a bunch of reading however. Some of it you can get to on the web but some of what I found is in Academic Journals.

Someone sent this link to me I don't remember who.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/jun02/art4jun.html

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
milehigh,
Al is travelling right now. I'm sure he will chime in when he returns.

Top Bottom