Humic acid...

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like I found a silver bullet.
I've been doing bonsai for 5yrs (on and off 13yrs) now. I have some in bonsai pots but mostly im still growing on in pots.
I use a mix of equal parts pumice, composted pine bark and quarried granite.
I alternate fertilize with Foliage Pro/ ProTekt that I imported from the USA, and a good quality organic fertilizer I get locally.
I stay in Wellington NZ and where I live i'm plagued by vicious winds from all directions. General climate is not very potplant friendly. The stable growth time window is very short. Because of the climate (or so I thought) the general growth has been very disappointing. The plants just seemed to hang on and not flourish. I really was contemplating about throwing it all in and get another hobby, but i'm a tree freak and luckily the love kept me going.....:p

After readings here about humates I figured I have nothing to loose as I have tried it all. I got some liquid humic acid (2-3%) 5 months ago and started applying that on a monthly basis. Form the first month I saw a difference. Its approaching summer here now and ALL the plants are growing like they never had. One Satsuki i have in pure pumice has been doing so so, but this season its going bonkers. I feed it humic acid to.....;)
I can only attribute this to the humic acid. It really has put a spring in my step.

I'm wondering why there isn't more discussion about it? There is some mention about it on all the bonsai sites but no dedicated threads. Its only 4 months now but I really do see a radical difference. That leads me to believe that all the years the fertilizer washed out before the plants took it up properly.....?

My question... Does anybody (besides Smoke) use it frequently?

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was introduced to the stuff through work, reclamation of environmentally degraded sites and through courses in aerated compost tea brewing. Used it for bonsai almost since day 1 about 15yrs ago. Good stuff.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm really blown away by the results i'm getting. Now i'm wondering why there isn't more discussion and sharing about it. There is SOOOO many talk about soils and fertilizings and I have tried so many things, but this so far is only thing that really made a difference for me over all this time.....!!!
I have quite a few plants in a mix of 5/1/1 bark, pumice and chopped sphagnum. I use it for a short time only as it does compact. Its not as open as it should be, but the plants are growing now like they never have.
It says to me the humates makes a difference in any mix.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad its working out for you. It's a good question, how many people use it, I have no idea.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I looked into humid acid, but I wasn't sure how much to use. The liquid concentrates didn't seem to really specify the amounts. Late this last summer I started using Plant Tone and I could tell a big difference in the growth. I had a small maple in a four inch pot that threw out a couple feet of growth and I attribute it to the Plant Tone.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Humic acid falls into the same catagory as akadama, HB-101, Suprthrive, Grow Stones and the like. It is not main stream and looked down upon by large groups of people due to cost and availability. If these products were available at the 7-11 for 5 bucks a bag they would become mainstream. As long as only the few can use them, they will be poo pooed away as snake oil.

I have decided to just do bonsai my way and forget passing off hints on how to improve to those that wish only to argue with success.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I used humic acid some this season. I'm new, so I didn't have much to compare it to. Many of my plants grew well. I'll use it again next year. I would like if some of the experienced folks who do use it would share more info about it, such as concentrations, frequency, etc. I do understand, Smoke, that it is frustrating to have people argue with what you have done with success, but those of us willing to learn from your experience miss out due to these frustrations.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
HTML:
I've been making cakes with Plant-Tone for years, and it has humates. Good stuff.

I see they have a product called Tree-Tone, ever used that instead? Wondering if you could do this product in tea bags or just sprinkle on soil instead of making cakes? I have used a liquid humic acid product in the past few years, but I think that I must have mixed too strong a batch one time, as I had some trees exhibit burning type symptoms. Could have been the weather, but am planning on switching from the liquid, and will probably try this next year.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fredman,

you can read here -

http://www.thesoilguy.com/SG/HumicAcid

Note: there is a bit on compost at the end. We make our own compost and it is also aged, it is enriched with weeds. Massive crop 0f Lula [ Avocadoes ] again this year - compost pit near the trunk of the tree.
Good Day
Anthony

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Humus

Hi Fredman,
Like many things in Bonsai it can depend on so many different aspects. Many bonsai soils are very inorganic.... thus we have to fertilize to provide the basic nutrients of growth and health.
Some time ago Smoke brought up the subject in a thread so I too was curious about it. I've tried it but didn't see a huge improvement but maybe thats due to the type of organic material I use in my mixes.
My soil mix for most of my conifers and other humus loving plants contains a sifted product called Sea Soil (locally made and distributed) and as far as I know its rich in humic acid which is not a fertilizer per se, but it compliments fertilizer. Further research on humic acid shows that it can provide good root vitality, improves nutrient uptake, increased fertilizer retention and stimulates beneficial microbial activity..... all of which we desire.
Cheers Graham

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Ryan N. is very big on humic acid too. He's using seaweed w. humates. Spec, Norwegian seaweed...ascollum? something. I'll be adding this next yr

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny, those are the 2 things that have been consistent in my care strategy from the start. Again it came out of courses in aerobic compost tea brewing. There was a species recommended, a cold water kelp I think, notes are packed away right now. Ferts I've always stuck with organic but many brands.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Funny, those are the 2 things that have been consistent in my care strategy from the start. Again it came out of courses in aerobic compost tea brewing. There was a species recommended, a cold water kelp I think, notes are packed away right now. Ferts I've always stuck with organic but many brands.

Exactly. Per 'the wiki' ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascophyllum

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The reason I started using these things was based on my interest in beneficial fungi and their role of host defense disease suppression. Ingredients that trend a compost tea towards high populations of beneficial fungi include humic acid, seaweed, yucca extract and fruit pulp.

I've since learned more about nutrient uptake, cec etc through smokes posts and other places. Now I have more reason to like the stuff.
I'm not making any claims or recommendations here but my conifers do rapidly colonize with myc and I've never had to use a fungicide.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a link to the humates i'm using (I corresponded intensely with this people and are satisfied that this is the real deal. There are some imitations and sub standard stuff out there sold as humates but actually is not the real thing. As I said I can see it in the plant growth) I don't think they export but can be wrong. Doesn't matter either way as there is good products out there. Maybe other members that are happy with theirs can share what they are using.
There is some valuable info on there that needs to be shared I think. :D
Down the bottom is another link that gives more info and its dilutions. Its mostly for farmers but I get it in the 1liter and thin it according to the directions. It should be used correctly as it can kill plants.
I'm sure there are many good products out there, but its worth while researching it before committing to it...:p

https://www.fertnz.co.nz/verteblack-liquid-humates/

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have decided to just do bonsai my way and forget passing off hints on how to improve to those that wish only to argue with success.

I certainly would appreciate your advice Al! In particular on this subject as the few plants I had this past season grew "ok" but not as I expected. I looked up this product and at 17 ish USD for a quart and I read correctly that will mix up to 192 gallons. I don't see that as expensive. Curious what the downside could be if I try it based on your experience.

Grimmy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like all things in bonsai, from bending large branches to air layering to grafting, absolutely no one should comment one way or another about said process until they have given something a fair shot.

My advice is, give it a fair shot.

Top Bottom