Hummingbird Moth

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Was checking my plants today and noticed some weird cylindrical black pellets on the soil of couple of my yaupon holly. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that several of the branches are totally defoliated. I have a friend who just posted on his blog about Hummingbird Moth or Sphinx Moth so I went on the hunt. I found 2 caterpillars eventually (really hard to find though they are BIG). I failed to find a third one on another pot. Might have went into pupa stage already.

Nasty & hungry pests since according to my friend, they do not just eat the leaves, they also eat the bud killing the branches.

Here is a link to an article about it... http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/hummingbird_moth.htm

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please post if you actually see one of these. Your link looks really interesting.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ah, so that's what they are. I've got tons of them where I live, and they cause no harm to my trees.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ah, so that's what they are. I've got tons of them where I live, and they cause no harm to my trees.

"...according to my friend, they do not just eat the leaves, they also eat the bud killing the branches."

From what I've seen on mine, his observation is spot on. Hope they do not lay eggs on your trees.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
"...according to my friend, they do not just eat the leaves, they also eat the bud killing the branches."

From what I've seen on mine, his observation is spot on. Hope they do not lay eggs on your trees.

I've never had a problem with them, in all the years that I've brought my trees outdoors and left them out there. See tons of these guys, but no destruction from them.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The moths are beautiful, we have a LOT of them here. Hard to get good photos because they're constantly moving.

The caterpillars are destructive, but I've never found them on any of my trees. Usually on tomato plants, where they can be very hard to find...they blend in very well with the stems and leaves.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The moths are beautiful, we have a LOT of them here. Hard to get good photos because they're constantly moving.

The caterpillars are destructive, but I've never found them on any of my trees. Usually on tomato plants, where they can be very hard to find...they blend in very well with the stems and leaves.

Wow so pretty, I saved one of those caterpillars in prospect park here about a month ago as it was on the walking path. Had no idea it became something this pretty.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Sorry to hear they're messing with your trees. Is there any natural pesticide like mint or lavender that will keep them off. I've heard those kind of things help with mites.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry to hear they're messing with your trees. Is there any natural pesticide like mint or lavender that will keep them off. I've heard those kind of things help with mites.

Thanks but I think I found my solution on another thread. :D
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?12516-Something-is-munching-on-my-birch
I concur. I had an infestation of caterpillars in the Spring and it looks similar to your picture. I used Thuricide and the worms dropped like flies a day or two after a single spraying. :D

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, I found one that made a house under a plastic bucket in my yard. These things are smart! It created a dike so his/her area won't get wet. If only their caterpillar are not so destructive to my plants... :(

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are few kinds of those here including the clear wing. I read some time ago that not all are destructive but I have not seen ANY caterpillar that is not. This season we had none of those so far and I am hoping it continues that way.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The catapiller stage looks like a cutworm. I get one a year only on my yupon holly. It's the only thing they seem to like. They always give themselves away, because the will completely clear a branch of leaves. Nothing left in area where they are feasting. Found the yearly culprit this week. The pic is my tell tell sign. image.jpg

Top Bottom