Humus

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! Good question when you see a bag of black dirt for sale. “What makes this ‘humus’, how can I even confirm that, and what am I really paying for?”

Can’t just call it “decomposed leaves and stuff”?

It’s important to always lean into the absolute truth, even if it seems trivial. Clever shady people look for any angle and half truth to exploit.

Humus sounds fancy, but needs some asterisks and caveats next to it for complete clarity.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have read that humic acid does have chelating properties; it can act as a cationic/anionic exchange molecule, like EDTA.
Nonetheless, I haven't found humic or fulvic acid to be improving anything. Not even in controlled trials.
It looks cool though, black water! Yeah!

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have read that humic acid does have chelating properties; it can act as a cationic/anionic exchange molecule, like EDTA.
Nonetheless, I haven't found humic or fulvic acid to be improving anything. Not even in controlled trials.
It looks cool though, black water! Yeah!

The bigger point is that it's not even "humus" UNTIL it goes through a chemical distillation process.

Til then it's organic matter of a not-quite-determined state of being.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bonsai society of Montréal has "Rich earth" humates as an additive to it's repotting recipes. Do you think this is just another phony miracle product?

Top Bottom